Senior Associate Construction Management Engineer, Multiple positions
Job categories: Engineering
Vacancy code: VA/2023/B5516/26092
Department/office: AR, SAMCO, Nepal
Duty station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Contract type: Local ICA Support
Contract level: LICA-7
Duration: Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or satisfactory performance
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Please note that UNOPS will at no stage of the recruitment process request candidates to make payments of any kind.
Background Information – Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) has been supporting Nepal by implementing projects since 2007. It was established as a country office for Nepal in 2015 and is under South Asia Multi-Country Office (SAMCO), Colombo.
The UNOPS Nepal Office has implemented Projects in all seven provinces of Nepal with key government partners; the Nepal Police (Ministry of Home Affairs), the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA), the Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS), the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP), the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Industry and Commerce and the Provincial Governments. Supporting Nepal’s development plan and the 2030 Agenda, the Nepal Office implements projects in post-earthquake reconstruction, security, and justice, field monitoring and coordination, and in recent times– immediate health support to respond to the Coronavirus disease 19 (COVID-19) crisis. Within the reconstruction portfolio, the Nepal Office provided socio-technical assistance to individual households, developed innovative approaches for retrofitting earthquake-damaged homes, and delivered services to the most vulnerable households, ensuring nobody is left behind.
Background Information on Project:
The ADB intends to engage UNOPS to provide Technical Assistance to the Government of Nepal for the construction of Women and Children Service Centres facilities and Rehabilitation facilities for GBV survivors. UNOPS responsibilities will primarily focus on providing construction supervision of the buildings. The total number of such facilities will be up to 20 buildings. The project duration will be four years.
The Senior Associate Construction Management Engineer (Resident Engineer) will be responsible for the following but not limited to:
Construction Management and Quality Assurance (QA)/Quality Control (QC):
- Assist the Chief Resident Engineer with the implementation of administrative processes for financial management of the project.
- Provide administrative oversight on the costs of all construction activities regularly.
- In collaboration with the REs, prepare monthly contract payment estimates and certificates for payment, including cost estimates for construction and supervision.
- Maintain a permanent record of all measurements for the work quantities to be paid.
- Ensure procedures are adopted to maintain an efficient Project Cost Control System.
- Review the costs for escalation, contingency, site allowances, etc. prepared by the cost/quantity surveyor of the design team at the Department of Urban Development Building Construction.
- Assist IAs with the preparation of cash flow forecasts and Interim and Final Account valuations.
- Provide timely administrative and procedural advice to the Resident Engineers and Chief Resident Engineer on the valuations of variations, unsolicited claims, time extensions, etc. and highlight any actual or expected cost overruns. Provide guidance on measures to be adopted to avoid, reduce or manage them.
- Assist IAs for necessary procurement activities.
- Provide the necessary admin and procedural support for the Quality Assurance process of the construction works being undertaken under the project for particular Districts in Nepal with support from the team of Junior Engineers and Site Supervisors.
- Monitor and report site safety and environmental impacts of construction.
- Support contractors in terms of administrative and procedural matters, HSSE management system & quality control and other technical issues as required.
Local Level Stakeholder Management:
- Maintain close collaboration with the Local Level Project Implementation Unit in the provinces and other local Government stakeholders in the District. Have regular meetings with them to keep them abreast of the progress of the construction activities.
- Maintain good collaboration with the local Municipalities and their Leaders.
Office Management at Local Level:
- With the assistance from the Team Leader, establish a site office, set it up and manage it as the responsible person for that particular site office.
- Maintain the required expenses for the running of the site office which include managing the rental payment, utilities, cleaning services, furniture and any other necessary requirement as advised by the Team Leader
- Managing the logistics of the vehicle including the driver.
Personnel Management at District Level:
- Provide administrative and procedural oversight of the team of Junior Engineers/Site Supervisors in the project sites including their day to day work, performance appraisals, technical support and guidance and keeping them engaged and motivated in their jobs.
- Manage the preparation of weekly plans and reports from the Junior engineers and Sit Supervisors in the District and in-turn collate those to prepare the monthly report to be submitted to the Construction Manager.
- Support the Team Leader in preparation of the monthly reports to government stakeholders with the help of progress updates and photographs when required.
- Support the Team Leader in preparation of the Annual and Semiannual reports to the Donor with the help of progress updates and photographs when required.
Education Masters Degree in Civil/Structural/Engineering, Engineering Management or other equivalent discipline is required.
- 5 years experience in building construction is required.
- 10 years of overall experience supervising the construction of civil works is preffered.
- Experience in ADB or any multilateral or bilateral funded project is preferred
- Excellent written and oral command of English and Nepali languages.
- Teamwork Skills
- Excellent and proven technical, organizational, leadership and teamwork skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to write technical reports in English language;
- Proficiency in Google Suite and AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of the UN system and familiarity with UNOPS procedures is an advantage.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Independent Contractor Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level Local ICA Support Level 7, LICA7, ICS7
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Application period: 29-May-2023 to 20-Jun-2023