Website International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
Research Communication and Outreach Specialist
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), a CGIAR Research Center is looking for a competent, self-motivated, and dynamic candidate to join as the Research Communication and Outreach Specialist.
The Research Communication and Outreach Specialist will work on various research projects of International Water Management Institute (IWMI) in Nepal. The person will support the Institute in achieving impacts and outreach from its scientific research results and tools. The person will need to lead the knowledge management and uptake activities of different projects, including NEXUS Gains of the Institute in Nepal with an aim to prepare and communicate research results targeted at different levels within Nepal and beyond using different forms of communication, including digital tools. The person will coordinate and manage outputs related to comms materials, knowledge products, and knowledge forums and dialogue keeping inclusion, inter-disciplinary knowledge and perspectives, and innovation into consideration. In coordination with the Knowledge Management Division of the IWMI HQ, the person is also required to support regional and international events of the IWMI.
Duties AND Responsibilities:
- Lead the process of developing and implementing research knowledge management, communications and uptake strategies and activities in Nepal and South Asia.
- Support researchers and project leaders to design and implement research-based knowledge forums, trainings, workshops, and multi-stakeholders’ dialogues that support for achieving impacts of the research projects.
- By working closing with the Project Leaders, Office Management, and research teams, provide communication support at events, including preparation of press releases, announcements, social media posts, and organize for photography and videography as required.
- Coordinate and support to prepare policy briefs, blogs, guidelines, Op-ed articles in Nepali, Maithili and English through synthesizing research results and knowledge forums, and develop other advocacy and communications materials as and when required
- Write and organize background briefings for media.
- Review, revise, and edit reports with material provided by the Project Leads and researchers.
- Develop and maintain database of IWMI Nepal’s projects, partners, impact stories, outreach activities, scientific publications, capacity building activities, and local contacts of service providers.
- Ensure that research/knowledge products prepared for publication comply with branding of One CGIAR, IWMI and its partners.
- Maintain regular contact with the IWMI Communications and Knowledge Management Team at HQ and follow the guidance provided by the Global Head CKM.
- Coordinate with the HQ comms team to disseminate IWMI Nepal’s activities in the IWMI’s webpage, twitter, LinkedIn, other social media hubs.
- Support to monitoring and evaluation of IWMI’s research programs and communication activities.
- Support to develop communication materials that address the needs of different audiences in Nepal and to increase visibility and impacts of IWMI’s interventions.
- Provide information and materials for preparing IWMI’s institutional reports.
- Perform other communication, outreach and networking activities as required by the Institute.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Master’s degree in mass communications, journalism, international development, sociology, economics or a related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional and practical experience.
- Highly developed skills in MS Office software (particularly Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and media software packages (i.e., photoshop, video editing software) are required.
- Experience in communication and knowledge management work in research for development.
- Experience in reviewing and synthesizing reports, and writing on water/natural resources and development issues.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Experience of developing and implementing communications and/or uptake strategies, including policy dialogues and multi-stakeholder engagement platforms.
- Ability to work with, and develop modern social media tools such as the webpage, blogs, twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Ability to produce stories of change in papers and electronic media such as videos or audios.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Nepali and proficiency in editing and preparing knowledge products in English and Nepali.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Has facilitation skills and experience.
- Knowledge of diversity, inclusion, discrimination, and gender issues in Nepal.
- Respect and practice organizational values and work with professional integrity.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and database management.
- Has willingness to travel in remote areas and, if necessary, to other regions with limited facilities.
- A strong analytical mind, with the ability to synthesize and communicate persuasively.
What we are offering:
This is a nationally recruited position and only candidates who are eligible to work in Nepal will be considered. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package, inclusive of health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, and long-term disability coverage. The duration of the contract will initially be for a period of three years with the possibility of extension.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply for the position by following the application instructions at www.iwmi.org/jobs. We will be accepting applications through 24:00 (IST) September 14, 2022 (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis). Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.