Website Plan International
PProject Officer: Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship Development (YEED) project
Number of Vacancies: 1
Functional Area: Learn and Earn (Climate Crisis/Disaster Risk Management and Gender as a cross cutting)
Reports to: Project Specialist, Regional Office- East, Janakpur
Location: Based in partner office in Sindhuli under Regional Office –East.
Travel required :Frequent
Types: Fixed-Term Employment until August 2025 based in Sindhuli under Regional Office-East (Dhanusa)
Purpose: MAIN OBJECTIVE OF THE PROJECT
Young people, especially young women, in Sindhuli and Dhanusha districts of Nepal pursue decent work opportunities of their choosing, whether wage employment or self-employed.
The Specific objectives/outcomes of the project are:
Outcome 1: Young people, especially young women, have access to gender responsive, decent work places and training institutes
Outcome 2: Young people, especially young women, build on and develop their skills for wage or self-employment opportunities
Outcome 3: Families and communities adopt positive norms and practices supporting young people, especially young women, for SOYEE training enrolment and pursuing wage or self-employment opportunities
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in over 75 countries. Our programs are underpinned by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as the overall ambition to empower girls and young women as legacy.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978 and developed a strong reputation as a respected development and humanitarian actor helping marginalized children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 11 districts in Nepal.
Plan International Nepal has a vision for 2030 as “an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women enjoy their rights and live in freedom”. This is coupled with the ambition of taking action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive as “Girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens” by 2023. The country strategy is put into action through the implementation of three interrelated program areas defined as follows:
LEARN: the “Education and Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship (SOYEE)” program aims to assist vulnerable and excluded girls and young women in adapting and thriving in a changing climate;
LEAD AND DECIDE: the “Youth as Active Drivers of Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)” program aims to empower girls and young women in leading change, having control over their bodies and making informed decisions; and
THRIVE: the “Early Childhood Development (ECD), Child Protection and Child Poverty” program enhances vulnerable and excluded children, especially girls, to be valued and cared for without discrimination, fear and any forms of violence.
Plan international Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
The Project Officer will be overall responsible for project and partnership management in district. S/he will provide technical support to implementing partner organization for the “Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship Development (YEED) Project”. The Project Officer (PO) will be based in partner office under Regional Office – East, Sindhuli district with frequent field visit in Dhanusha district. PO will be responsible for ensuring effective implementation of project in Dhanusha and Sindhuli in coordination and collaboration with private sectors, government line agencies and other likeminded organization. The PO will require to represent Plan International Nepal at local, provincial and federal level as required. The position holder will also be responsible to assist PS of YEED project in planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting. S/he will be required to prepare quarterly/annual report, progress reports and case stories. This position holder requires to work in coordination with different departments of Plan International Nepal. This position requires ensuring compliance of organization and donor.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
The purpose of this position is to support Project Specialist to oversee and ensure a high-quality project implementation, in both development and humanitarian settings, and achieve targets towards Plan’s and/or donor’s requirements through overall management of the implementing partners within project in the respective areas and districts, under the direct supervision of Project Specialist. The position will represent Plan in various forums in the respective sector/s including in government at municipal and district level and other stakeholders. The position will also work closely with the Program Specialists Learn, Lead and Decide and Thrive to enhance the capacity and skill of the partner NGO, local government and other key stakeholders and also to ensure the quality of the project delivery at the field level.
Reports to: Project Specialist– Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship Development (YEED) project
Budget Accountability: NA
Number of direct reports: None
Number of Indirect reports: None
External relationships and representation: Frequently represent Plan International Nepal to external stakeholders.
Partner Management: Ensure effective project implementation, provide managerial support in the district, and act as liaison between partner organization and Plan International Nepal regional offices on a regular basis.
Representation: Work with local and Province level government and other agencies, as relevant, to ensure Plan International Nepal is compliant with all requirements. Ensure Plan International Nepal’s voice is heard at relevant forums. Frequently represents Plan International Nepal to external stakeholders.
MER: Ensure proper Project Implementation Guideline, M & E plan, data base and Quality Benchmarks are in place, understood and being used.
Reporting: Ensure all required reports both narratives and database are sent on time with quality standards.
Coordination and Networking: Liaise and coordinate with different stakeholders, implementing partners, government and private sectors to maximize the results intended through this project.
Effective Partnership Management
- Support Project Specialist-to manage implementing partners to ensure project deliverables are met as per the project design.
- Work closely with Program Specialists and partners to achieve program quality.
- Working together with local authorities to identify key area to strengthen stronger inclusive and gender-sensitive programmes at municipal level.
- Ensure partner/s and their relevant staff understand and abide by Plan’s mandatory corporate policies during implementation of projects/programmes
- Support to Project Specialist to implement and monitor audit actions of the assigned partners and seek necessary support from Partner Support Specialist and Project Specialist as required.
- Ensure mutual oversight and regular two-way feedback with partners.
- Support to prepare appropriate fund allocation and expenditure on a monthly basis and take corrective measures by revisiting plans and communicating timely with supervisor and partners.
- Coordinate with Program Specialists to ensure technical quality of projects
- Ensure operationalization of Global Policy on Safeguarding Children and Young People in the project.
- Support to Project Specialist for administrative and supportive activities to ensure the contracted services and expectations are carried out by the project team within Implementation Partner organisation/s in accordance with executed contracts and the donors’ expectations.
- Act as liaison between partner organization and Plan International Nepal to ensure smooth delivery of project/s.
Documentation and Reporting
- Support sponsored children/families are reached through project
- Document field lessons acquired through monitoring visits and interaction with targeted communities, especially girls, boys and young women.
- Support to Project Specialist to prepare the project’s progress report (quarterly, half yearly and annual)
- Ensure sponsored children/families are reached.
Mainstreaming Plan’s corporate policies in Implementation
- Ensure risks associated with Safeguarding Children and Young People are identified and mitigation measures placed during implementation of project activities.
- Ensure Anti-fraud, Anti-bribery and Corruption policy is clearly articulated to partners and necessary checkpoints are in place to prevent breach.
- Ensure value-based leadership is practiced by partner/s’ staff
- Ensure all Plan’s mandatory corporate policies are abide by during implementation.
Monitoring and supervision
- Work closely with MER Team, Program Specialists and Project Specialist to carry out various surveys of the project.
- Support for effective project monitoring by taking necessary corrective actions that are being followed up and reviewed periodically
- Undertake frequent field monitoring visits and report performance against established schedules and targets with regular update in SAP as per the milestones set in PO
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor Degree in development-related field, preferably Human Rights, Management, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Gender & Development, Political Science, and Public Policy Administration, with 1-2 years of experience in related field
- Experience in rights-based approaches to development. Experience engaging with government private sectors, CSOs and/or multilateral institutions.
- Prior experience in an integrated project with the component related to education, economic empowerment, norms change, DRM, protection system strengthening and CSO mobilization would be an asset.
- Experience in networking/engaging with key actors.
- Experience in capacity development of partner staff.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, a variety of team members and external contacts, through good written and spoken communication skills
- Understanding of the structures, processes and trends in the Nepal political system.
- Ability to plan work and meet deadlines when working under pressure on a number of projects.
- Commitment to Plan’s values including the rights and needs of children.
- Experience of working for an INGO/NGO.
- Operational planning & execution
- Analysis & reasoning
- Communicating, one to one, in groups both in writing, verbally, presentations and reports, in English, Nepali and relevant local languages.
- Preparation and management of budgets and assessment of financial implication in work situations
- Facilitation, negotiation and networking
- Ability to use basic office electronic equipment & computer applications
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
Based under Regional Office- East, Dhanusha and Sindhuli with frequent travel to municipalities and community as required.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
High level: Frequent interaction with children
Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected.
Application Deadline: Thursday 15th of September 2022
Source: Kantipur Dainik, 2 September, 2022