Website Plan international Nepal
Position: Project Coordinator- Prevention, Tracking, Education and Transformation (ProTEcT) project
Number of Vacancies: 1
Functional Area: Program
Reports to: Program Specialist-Thrive, Janakpur, Dhanusha (East); Dotted Line to Project Manager in CO
Location: Makawanpur & (partner) with frequent travel to the partner in Sunsari
Travel required: Yes
Effective Date: 1 April 2021
Type: Fixed Term Employment until 30 December 2023 based in Makawanpur overseeing Sunsari (1)
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in over 75 countries. Our programs are underpinned by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as the overall ambition to empower girls and young women as legacy.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978 and developed a strong reputation as a respected development and humanitarian actor helping marginalised children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal.
Plan International Nepal has a vision for 2030 as “an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women enjoy their rights and live in freedom”. This is coupled with the ambition of taking action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive as “Girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens” by 2023. The country strategy is put into action through the implementation of three interrelated program areas defined as follows:
LEARN: the “Education and Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship (SOYEE)” program aims to assist vulnerable and excluded girls and young women in adapting and thriving in a changing climate;
LEAD AND DECIDE: the “Youth as Active Drivers of Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)” program aims to empower girls and young women in leading change, having control over their bodies and making informed decisions; and
THRIVE: the “Early Childhood Development (ECD), Child Protection and Child Poverty” program enhances vulnerable and excluded children, especially girls, to be valued and cared for without discrimination, fear and any forms of violence.
Plan international Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
[A concise statement, capturing the primary reasons that this role exists and a clear articulation of the context of the role. How will this role contribute to creating lasting change for children?]
The purpose of this position is to support Project Manager to oversee and ensure a high quality project implementation, in both development and humanitarian settings, and achieve targets towards Plan’s and/or donor’s requirements through overall management of the implementing partners within ProTEcT project in the respective areas and districts, under the direct supervision of Program Specialist-Thrive and Project Manager of ProTEcT project. The position will represent Plan in various forums in the respective sector/s including in government at municipal and district level and other stakeholders. The position will also work closely with the Program Specialist Lead and Decide of Regional Office, West to enhance the capacity and skill of the partner NGO, local government and other key stakeholders and also to ensure the quality of the project delivery at the field level.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
Reports to: Program Specialist-Thrive
Budget Accountability: NA
Number of direct reports: None
Number of Indirect reports: None
External relationships and representation: Frequently represents Plan International Nepal to external stakeholders.
Effective Partnership Management
- Support Program Specialist-Thrive and Project Manager-ProTEcT to manage implementing partners to ensure project deliverables are met as per the project design.
- Work closely with Program Specialist and partners to achieve program quality.
- Ensure partner staff receives adequate training and support to deliver projects, including but not limited to, PMD Pro tools and guidance on Plan’s project cycle procedures.
- Working together with local authorities to identify key area to strengthen stronger inclusive and gender-sensitive programmes at municipal level.
- Ensure partner/s and their relevant staff understand and abide by Plan’s mandatory corporate policies during implementation of projects/programmes
- Support to Program Specialist and Project Manager to implement and monitor audit actions of the assigned partners and seek necessary support from Partner Support Specialist and Project Manager as required.
- Support Program Specialist and Project Manager to identify gaps in partner’s governance and staff capacity and develop areas of improvement and its monitoring mechanism
- Ensure mutual oversight and regular two-way feedback with partners.
- Support Program Specialist and Project Manager in planning processes and support to partners to prepare annual detailed implementation plan including realistic phased budget outlining major activities and timeline for the funds allocated in required planning templates provided by the Organization/NO/Donor.
- Support to prepare appropriate fund allocation and expenditure on a monthly basis and take corrective measures by revisiting plans and communicating timely with Supervisor and Partners.
- Reviews the project’s BvA and transaction reports and report on any glitches identified.
- Support Project Manager on the revision of budgets during budget forecast and on exchange rate fluctuations as per organizational procedures. And prepare/revise POs aligning with the revised budget.
- Support to develop a detailed implementation plan and implementing partners complete the project/s according to schedule, within budget and following all mandatory compliances
- Coordinate with Program Specialist to ensure technical quality of projects
- Ensure operationalization of Global Policy on Safeguarding Children and Young People in the project.
- Support to Project Manager for administrative and supportive activities to ensure the contracted services and expectations are carried out by the project team within Implementation Partner organisation/s in accordance with executed contracts and the donors’ expectations.
- Support to Project Manager for quality, timely and accurate reporting capturing disaggregated data, outputs, outcomes and impact of the project.
- Monitor project implementation to track progress against plan and per technical benchmarks and recommend corrective measures
- Identify risks and challenges in project implementation and partnership and develop mitigation measures.
- Act as liaison between partner organization and Plan International Nepal to ensure smooth delivery of project/s.
Influencing, Campaigns and Communications
- Support Project Manager to generate evidences from local level for policy advocacy.
- Represent Plan in anti-trafficking networks and maintain organisation’s professional image.
- Support to SBCC Specialist on SBCC materials dissemination at field level as required.
Review, Document and Learn
- Support sponsored children/families are reached through Prevention, Tracking, Education and Transformation (ProTEcT) Project.
- Document field lessons acquired through monitoring visits and interaction with targeted communities, especially girls, boys and young women.
- Support to Project Manager to disseminate success and failure stories various departments to inform decision making
- Support to Project manager to prepare the project’s progress report (quarterly, half yearly and annual)
- Identify best practices, problems and issues around project implementation and works toward finding solutions for improvements, documenting, disseminating them
Mainstreaming Plan’s corporate policies in Implementation
- Ensure risks associated with Safeguarding Children and Young People are identified and mitigation measures placed during implementation of project activities.
- Ensure Anti-fraud, Anti-bribery and Corruption policy is clearly articulated to partners and necessary checkpoints are in place to prevent breach.
- Ensure value-based leadership is practiced by partner/s’ staff
- Ensure all Plan’s mandatory corporate policies are abide by during implementation.
Monitoring and supervision
- Work closely with MER Team and Program Specialist and Project Manager to carry out various surveys of the project.
- Support for effective project monitoring by taking necessary corrective actions that are being followed up and reviewed periodically
- Undertake frequent field monitoring visits and report performance against established schedules and targets with regular update in SAP as per the milestones set in PO
- Work closely with Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Coordinator at Regional Office and also with the Program Specialist and Project Manager to ensure that implementation of activities is done in line with M&E requirements. This include ensuring that links exist with reporting requirements, data management, documentation of best practices, case studies and learning
- Provide technical support to Partner NGOs to make best use of data in their project planning process through input, analysis and utilization of data.
- Support to Project Manager and provides guidance to the focal persons at partners in the planning, implementation and monitoring of project plan as per the given guidelines.
- Support to ensure that the programs have quality benchmarks in place and is exclusively followed at all levels.
- Support for the M&E plan and PMD pro tools as part of project Management of the project is well familiar and understood by partner’s staff, is exclusively used and reported.
- Support on all action plans developed after project reviews, evaluations and assessments are followed up and completed by respective partners on time.
- Support to Project Manager to Identify strengths and improvement areas of partners for quality delivery of the project and comes up with plans to improve such gaps
- Ensures that data is well optimized for the project at all levels by partners, and regular update is done
- Ensures incorporation of feminism and gender transformative approach in project’s interventions.
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor Degree in development-related field, preferably Human Rights, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Gender & Development, with 1-2 years of experience in an Officer role including grants management
- Experience in designing / managing of child protection & anti-child trafficking related project. Integrated project with component of anti-child trafficking component will be preferable.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation of integrated Project
- Experience in networking/engaging with key actors.
- Experience in capacity development of partner staff
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, a variety of team members and external contacts, through good written and spoken communication skills
- Understanding of the structures, processes and trends in the Nepal political system.
- Ability to plan work and meet deadlines when working under pressure on a number of projects.
- Commitment to Plan’s values including the rights and needs of children.
- Experience of working for an international organisation
- Operational planning & execution
- Analysis & reasoning
- Communicating, one to one, in groups both in writing, verbally, presentations and reports, in English, Nepali and relevant local languages.
- Preparation and management of budgets and assessment of financial implication in work situations
- Facilitation, negotiation and networking
- Ability to use basic office electronic equipment & computer applications
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
The position is based in Makwanpur/ Sunsari district with frequent travel to municipalities and community as required.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
High level: Frequent interaction with children
Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected.
Source: Kantipur Dainik, 18 February, 2021