Website Plan International
Title : Project Coordinator- Resilience
Functional Area: Partnership Management and Impact (PMI)
Reports to: Program: Specialist – Learn (ERO)
Matrix: STA – DRR & CCA
Number of Vacant Position: 1
Location: Sindhuli- East Regional Office- Dhanusha
Travel required: Yes (up to 50%)
Type: Fixed-Term Employment until June 2024 based in Sindhuli under Regional Office-East
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in over 75 countries. Our programs are underpinned by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as the overall ambition to empower girls and young women as legacy.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978 and developed a strong reputation as a respected development and humanitarian actor helping marginalised children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal.
Plan International Nepal has a vision for 2030 as “an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women enjoy their rights and live in freedom”. This is coupled with the ambition of taking action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive as “Girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens” by 2023. The country strategy is put into action through the implementation of three interrelated program areas defined as follows:
LEARN: the “Education & Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship (SOYEE)” program aims to assist vulnerable and excluded girls and young women so they are fully prepared for and equipped to adapt and thrive in a changing climate; both in development & humanitarian setting/ context
LEAD AND DECIDE: the “Youth as Active Drivers of Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)” program aims to empower girls and young women in leading change, having control over their bodies and making informed decisions; and
THRIVE: the “Early Childhood Development (ECD), Child Protection and Child Poverty” program enhances vulnerable and excluded children, especially girls, to be valued and cared for without discrimination, fear and any forms of violence.
Plan international Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
[A concise statement, capturing the primary reasons that this role exists and a clear articulation of the context of the role. How will this role contribute to creating lasting change for children?]
With direct supervision of Programme Specialist and matrix reporting to Manager at Country Office (CO), this position is responsible to oversee and ensure a high quality project delivery/ implementation of project entitle “Gender Responsive School and Community Safety Initiatives”. The project will be implemented by Plan International Nepal in collaboration with Plan International Bangladesh and Plan International Asia Pacific Regional Office (Plan APAC), along with their local partners Plan International Nepal will implement the Gender Responsive School and Community Safety Initiatives in selected schools and its surrounding communities of selected rural/municipalities of Sindhuli district funded by Plan International Japan Office (JNO). During the 3 (three) years implementation, the project aims to achieve a gender transformative, safer education and learning environment both at school and community levels that responds to and prepares for multi-hazards risks.
Project Coordinator is also responsible for management of other disaster management, humanitarian response, recovery projects under East Regional Office (ERO) to achieve the set targets of individual projects within short interval of time. Engage with Emergency Response Manager (ERM), Senior Technical Advisor- Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Management (STA-CCA &DRM) for implementation of the activities mentioned in Disaster Preparedness Process (DPP-IV) document of Plan International Nepal. Engaging with Business Development (BD) team, s/he will ensure the Plan and/or donor compliance and timely reporting. Furthermore, she/he will be responsible to manage overall performance of partners under different programme at district level. The position will represent Plan in various forums in the respective sector/s; clusters at province, district; local government at rural/municipal level; other relevant stakeholders and likeminded organizations in province, districts and local government. The position will also work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Coordinator of Regional Office East to enhance the capacity and skill of partner NGO on the sector of data management, capture the evidences and reporting of the specified project and other DRM, Humanitarian interventions.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
Reports to: Program Specialist – Learn (ERO) and matrix reporting to Emergency Response Manager (ERM)- Country Office
Budget Accountability: Yes (as per Plan Nepal’s LoA)
Number of direct reports: None
Number of Indirect reports: None
External relationships and representation: Frequently represents Plan International Nepal to external stakeholders, both at district and municipality level
– Support Programme Specialist – LEARN (ERO), Senior Technical Advisor – Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Management (STA – CCA & DRM) and, Business Development (BD) team for quality check & reporting, Plan & Donor compliance, quality programme delivery.
– Engage with MERL tea to carry out project M&E initiatives and take corrective actions based on findings, capture the evidences and use them for influencing purpose.
External Interface (i.e. stakeholders):
– Work in close coordination with staff and managements from the partner organization for high quality implement the projects intervention.
– Work with Sponsorship Coordinator to ensure Sponsorship Commitments are met.
– Engage with Regional manager – ERO Project Coordinator, Finance Coordinator, MER Coordinator, Program Specialist and other staffs at regional office to ensure that team objectives are net and consistency is ensured during project implementation.
– Internal staff in Plan International Nepal as required.
External Interface (i.e. stakeholders)
– Works closely with a diverse set of local stakeholders including municipal government, district and INGOs, CSOs and Media working at district for successful influencing and program implementation.
– Represent Plan International Nepal in all government agencies at province, district and local levels as well as other relevant networks and forums as needed.
- Prepare Detail Implementation Plan (DIP) and Project Outlines (POs) and provide technical backstopping to project implementing partner(s) in line with approved DIP and POs
- Lead the project planning processes and ensures partners have annual detailed implementation plan (DIP) including realistic phased budget outlining major activities and timeline for the funds allocated in required planning templates provided by the Organization/NO/Donor.
- Ensures appropriate fund allocation and expenditure on a monthly basis and take corrective measures by revisiting plans and communicating timely with Supervisor and Partners.
- Periodically review the monthly/annual/quarterly project plans and budgets and purpose for revision as and when required for effective project implementation.
- Support Program Specialist to lead the revision of budgets during budget forecast and on exchange rate fluctuations as per organizational procedures.
- Ensure a detailed implementation plan is in place and implementing partners complete the project/s according to schedule, within budget and following all mandatory compliances
- Provide direct technical support and capacity building of partner’s staff in program design, training development, program implementation, and developing strategic directions.
- Lead administrative and supportive activities to ensure the contracted services and expectations are carried out by the project team within Implementation Partner organisation/s in accordance with executed contracts and the donors’ expectations.
- Ensure quality, timely and accurate reporting capturing disaggregated data, outputs, outcomes and impact of the project/program.
- Monitor project implementation to track progress against plan and as per technical benchmarks and recommend corrective measures
- Identify risks and challenges in project implementation and partnership and develop mitigation measures.
- Act as liaison between partner organization and Plan International Nepal to ensure smooth delivery of project/program at District.
- Fill in the project progress reporting and other sections in the SAP regularly.
- Prepare and submit quality periodic project progress reports as per donor requirements and project document.
- Support to focal persons at partner in planning, implementation and monitoring of project plan as per the given guidelines.
- Ensures that the programs have project implementation guideline, quality benchmarks in place and is exclusively followed at all levels.
- Coordinate with STA- CCA and DRM, ERM, STA- Education to ensure technical quality of projects
- Work closely with respective STAs, Program Specialists – LEARN (ERO) and partners to achieve quality outcome of program.
- Ensures that all action plans developed after project reviews, evaluations and assessments are followed up and completed by respective partners on time.
- Support to Program Specialist to Identify strength and area of improvement of partners for quality delivery of the projects and comes up with plans to improve such gaps
- Ensures that data is well optimized for the project at all levels by partners, and regular update is done.
- Ensures incorporation of feminism and gender transformative approach in project’s interventions.
- Take lead in preparation and endorsement of acts, policies, strategies, Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs) and relevant documents related to DRM, SBDRM at rural/municipal level.
- Thorough understanding and experience about the DRR and humanitarian sector, local project management and contextual understanding of the geographical landscape (Terai belt) and associated hazards.
- Ensure Partner NGOs and Rural Municipality staff with necessary information about project requirements and compliances so that they can provide appropriate support to the project and integrate with their ongoing projects wherever possible.
- Identify operational challenges and make necessary steps to address them timely and appropriately.
- Support to strengthen safer and gender responsive school environment aligning with Comprehensive School Safety framework
- Ensure enhanced community DRM capacities that are gender responsive, inclusive and integrated with school preparedness initiatives.
- Support promotion of gender-responsive safe school initiatives at local, provincial, national, and regional levels.
Effective Partnership Management
- Manage implementing partners to ensure project deliverables are met as per the project design.
- Adequate training and support to deliver projects, including but not limited to, PMD Pro tools and guidance on Plan’s project cycle procedures.
- Support to Program Specialist Learn to implement and monitor audit actions of the assigned partners and seek necessary support from Partner Support Specialist and TA – Education as required.
- Support program specialist to identify gaps in partner’s governance and staff capacity and develop areas of improvement and its monitoring mechanism
- Ensure mutual oversight and regular two-way feedback with partners.
Influencing, Campaigns and Communications
- Contribute to develop priority district/local level campaigns ensuring harmonisation with global/national priority campaigns in collaboration with Program Specialist – LEARN and Regional Manager.
- Working together with local authorities to identify key area to strengthen stronger inclusive and gender-sensitive programmes at municipal level.
- Ensure operationalization of Global Policy on Safeguarding Children and Young People in the project.
- Support Program Specialist Learn to lead evidence based lobby and advocacy within the project scope in planning and delivering campaigning and advocacy work and ensure that Project plan include influencing objectives.
- Represent Plan in relevant committees, professional networks and mechanism to maintain organisation’s professional image.
- Be innovative to conduct campaigns at local and advocacy for disability and social inclusion for positive parenting, ending child, early and forced marriage and other relevant issues affecting children within the project scope
- Be innovative to influence local government to initiate STEAM Approach in education from the initial stage of planning process.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required.
Review, Document and Learn
- Ensure sponsored children/families are reached through project interventions.
- Document field lessons acquired through monitoring visits and interaction with targeted communities, especially girls and young women.
- Support to Program Specialist Learn to disseminate success and failure stories among various departments to inform decision making.
- Identify best practices, problems and issues around project implementation and works toward finding solutions for improvements, documenting, disseminating them
Mainstreaming Plan’s corporate policies in Implementation
- Ensure risks associated with Safeguarding Children and Young People are identified and mitigation measures placed during implementation of project activities.
- Ensure partner/s and their relevant staff understand and abide by Plan’s mandatory corporate policies during implementation of projects/programmes.
- Ensure Anti-fraud, Anti-bribery and Corruption policy is clearly articulated to partners and necessary checkpoints are in place to prevent breach.
- Ensure value-based leadership is practiced by partner/s’ staff.
Monitoring and supervision
- Work closely with MER Team and Program Specialist Learn to carry out various surveys of the project.
- Ensure effective project monitoring by taking necessary corrective actions that are being followed up and reviewed periodically
- Undertake frequent field monitoring visits and report performance against established schedules and targets with regular update in SAP as per the milestones set in Project Outline (PO)
- Work closely with Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Coordinator at Regional Office and also with Program Specialist Learn to ensure that implementation of activities is done in line with M&E requirements. This include ensuring that links exist with reporting requirements, data management, documentation of best practices, case studies and learning
- Provide technical support to Partner NGOs to make best use of data in their project planning process through input, analysis and utilization of data.
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Bachelor degree in Disaster Risk Management/Risk Reduction, Environmental Management, Natural Sciences, Community Development, Social Sciences and/or International Development with minimum 4-5 years of experience in a Coordinator role including grants management.
- Master degree in Disaster Risk Management/Risk Reduction, Environmental Management, Natural Sciences, Community Development, Social Sciences and/or International Development at least 2-3 years of experience in related sector
- Experience in project implementation, partnership management, government engagement, designing / managing of integrated Projects.
- Sufficient knowledge on community based disaster risk management (CBDRM), school based disaster risk management (SBDRM), multi hazard Early Warning System (EWS), disaster risk management (DRM), humanitarian response, education sector of Nepal with current plans, policies and strategies.
- Strong knowledge and experience working with government stakeholders on DRM and education such as: children, youth, Schools, SMC/PTA, DMCs, CBOs, NGOs and GOs
- Proven knowledge of budget tracking and management.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation of integrated Project.
- Understanding of Nepal’s national disaster management structure, systems, plans and priorities including sectoral emergency preparedness and response mechanisms.
- Experience of using web/mobile based tools for vulnerability and capacity assessment with knowledge of Geographical Information System (GIS)
- Experience of mainstreaming DRR into development plan of the respective local government.
- Extensive experience and expertise in DRR models and methods of training, facilitation and capacity building, project management and organizational development for staffs and communities
- Experience of preparing acts, policies, strategies and relevant documents related to DRM, SBDRM at rural/municipal level.
- Thorough understanding and experience about the DRR and humanitarian sector, local project management and contextual understanding of the geographical landscape and associated multi hazards.
- Experience in networking/engaging with key actors.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, a variety of team members and external contacts, through good written and spoken communication skills
- Good understanding of the processes by which you achieve policy change and of how to conduct power and political analysis.
- Ability to plan work and meet deadlines when working under pressure on a number of projects.
- Commitment to Plan’s values including the rights and needs of children.
- Experience of working for an international organisation.
- Knowledge of disaster recovery including Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA) programming with Nepalese context.
- Operational planning & execution.
- Analysis & reasoning.
- Humanitarian and empathy with the people
- Communicating, one to one, in groups both in writing, verbally, presentations and reports, in English, Nepali and relevant local languages.
- Preparation and management of budgets and assessment of financial implication in work situations.
- Facilitation, negotiation and networking
- Ability to use basic office electronic equipment & computer applications
- Willing to work under pressure and carry out multi-tasking
- Two wheeler valid driving licence
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
- The position is based at Partner NGO Office, Sindhuli with frequent travel to project locations.
- The position is a part of ERM and DRM team and may require to be deployed any time anywhere in the country for the emergency response work of Plan International Nepal, in case of Emergency.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
High level: Frequent interaction with children
Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected
Application Deadline: Thursday 27th of October 2022
Source: Kantipur Daily, 14 October, 2022