Website Nepal Leadership Academy (NLA)
Project and Communications Officer (Nepal Leadership Academy)
Sanepa Heights Rd, Lalitpur 44600, Nepal
Nepal faces an acute leadership crisis. Frustrated with myriad adaptive challenges related to poverty, inequality and governance, local communities are losing hope and becoming more dependent on external support. The authorities in the public, private and social sectors, on the other hand, have largely failed to collaborate in creating a suitable environment and growing citizen capacity for addressing these flaring issues. Most unfortunately, the colossal innovation potential of youth, who comprise half the nation, remains largely untapped. In fact, 1600 youth leave Nepal daily for foreign opportunities, despite 5 of them dying each day due to harsh working conditions abroad.
Nepal Leadership Academy (NLA) is a signature component of the Daayitwa campaign, which envisions an enterprising Nepal where all citizens embrace their responsibilities to collectively transform societal challenges into innovative opportunities. We believe that leadership can be learnt and practiced. Our beliefs are guided by the emerging emphasis on the psychological intricacies of leadership—the mental models from which effective leadership operates. With this belief, NLA builds leadership capacity in change-agents, who are guided by the shared values of collaborating, innovating, and serving and the shared principles of community, justice, and sustainability, architect effective policy, business and civic solutions that tackle the most grueling adaptive challenges. NLA conducts research, develops curricula, and provides in-practice leadership coaching to policy, business, and social innovators in Nepal and beyond. Since 2013, NLA has provided over 60 customized leadership courses to more than 700 innovators working in civic engagement, governance innovation, and entrepreneurship. Promoting progressive and inclusive participation of women in the leadership courses, NLA has trained 45 rural women entrepreneurs. Our Alums are creating ground-level impact with their leadership role in governmental institutions and NGOs outflanking gender norms. The leadership courses were built on the LEAD framework comprising of case studies, discussions, and readings, co-developed through 18 months of action research at Harvard’s Center for Public Leadership by distinguished Harvard Professors Marshall Ganz and Ronald Heifetz, as well as Former Harvard Senior Research Fellow and NLA’s Executive Leadership Coach Dr. Pukar Malla. In addition to the courses, NLA has also organized various events to initiate and continue cross-sectoral dialogue on effective leadership practices within Nepal’s context.
NLA is part of the Daayitwa Abhiyaan which comprises of three other organizations:
- Daayitwa – an NGO that promotes domestic youth employment by accelerating rural youth entrepreneurs to create jobs and supporting the government to implement evidence-based enterprise development policies.
- Governance Lab – a for-profit research firm that enables the government and the private sector to make decisions by conducting evidence-based research and connecting researchers and decision-makers.
- Daayitwa-US – a US-based non-profit that engages and empowers Nepali diaspora in the US as change agents and strengthens local and global collaboration to promote socio-economic development in Nepal.
Strengthening Political and Civic Youth Engagement for Democratic Change
Nepal Leadership Academy in partnership with the International Republican Institute (IRI) is implementing the “Strengthening Political and Civic Youth Engagement for Democratic Change” project to provide emerging leaders increased opportunities to build momentum for youth activism and advocate to Nepali political decision-makers to become more transparent, accountable and citizen-centered in their decisions. We will achieve this by developing networks of youth activists and providing them with skills, resources, and platforms to build connections and advocate concerns to political party leaders. We will conduct workshops for IRI’s Emerging Leaders Academy (ELA) to train Nepali youth on Youth Empowerment Skills (YES) including advocacy, digital messaging, youth leadership and communications. Furthermore, we will support ELA cohorts to develop regional youth charters as well as monitor the progress made by the teams in achieving the objectives of their small grant-funded projects. At the conclusion of the program, we will organize a two-day International YES Summit in Kathmandu.
The Project Officer and Communications Officer in close coordination with the Project Manager will be responsible for conducting and executing the project activities.
- Ensure effective implementation of the project in accordance with the project requirements and in line with the donor regulations.
- Lead communications, marketing and branding efforts.
- Coordinate and work closely with the project team throughout the project planning, design implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
- Organize and coordinate various leadership workshops and trainings in the project districts.
- Monitor the implementation of activities, participants’ projects, gather feedback from beneficiaries and submit detailed reports about the activities and findings.
- Ensure all project documentation and reports are produced on time.
- Conduct project planning, budgeting, action plans and monitoring processes.
- Devise activity reports and financial reports on a regular basis to the donor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least bachelor’s degree in public policy, entrepreneurship, political science, or other relevant majors.
- At least two years of project management, communications, marketing and branding experience.
- Strong analytical abilities, with practical application experiences in conducting quantitative and qualitative research and analysis.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Nepali.
- Excellent writing abilities, and proven proficiency in drafting high-quality reports.
- Independence in working on complex problems while consistently applying creativity and independent judgment in the matter
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in a diverse, team-oriented environment.
- Strong motivation, self-starter and organizational/time management skills.
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks at a time within deadlines.
- Willingness to learn and work hard.
Compensation: The rate will be mutually agreed upon, commensurate with the level of deliverables, qualifications and experience of the candidate.
Procedure: Interested candidates must submit a CV and a cover letter.
Apply Before: August 31st, 2022
**Only shortlisted candidates will be notified**