Website United Nations Population Fund
Programme Associate, Kathmandu, Nepal Country Office, G-7
Job ID: 40722
Location: Asia and Pacific
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Closing Date: 14 Janaury 2022 by 5 pm Nepal time
Duration: One year (renewable)*
Contract Type: Fixed-Term
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
* No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN Staff Regulation 4.5
The Programme Associate supports the design, planning and management of UNFPA’s country programme by managing data inputs, providing logistical support, monitoring project implementation and following up on recommendations.
The Programme Associate will be under the supervision of a Programme Specialist/ Coordinator and will provide support to one or more of the core thematic teams. In collaboration with other programme and technical team members, the Programme Associate provides strategic support to evidence-based planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the interventions undertaken in the team(s). The Programme Associate will also work in close collaboration with the other teams in the office, including the Operations Team and with UNFPA staff working at sub-national level.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan, focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who uphold the values enshrined in the United Nations Charter, who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
You will play an instrumental role in facilitating UNFPA’s country programme and project implementation, supporting the design, planning and management of activities including the efficient utilization of earmarked financial resources.
You will apply established systems and procedures and assist in the creation of knowledge by compiling, synthesizing and analyzing relevant information and developing appropriate mechanisms and systems to facilitate informed decision-making and effective programme management, while ensuring full compliance with the UNFPA policies and procedures.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You will be responsible for:
A. Evidence-based Programme Planning and Implementation:
- Facilitates evidence-based design, planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and reporting of interventions supported by the team, towards achieving measurable results.
- Contributes to the formulation of the country programme and component projects, by compiling and analysing information relevant to the UNFPA’s role in the country, drafting project documents and work plans and preparing tables and statistical data.
- Compiles basic data and provides inputs for the preparation of periodic progress reports of the aforementioned processes.
- Facilitates integrated programming actions across thematic teams for greater coherence and synergy.
B. Programme Management and Oversight:
- Facilitates the routine implementation of assigned programmes/projects, in coordination with the implementing partners and project personnel, coordinating delivery of inputs.
- Supports the selection and contracting of implementing partners.
- Supports the monitoring of project activities, establishing ways to assess achievement and recommending corrective actions as required; conductis field visits; participates in review meetings and evaluation missions and prepares inputs to progress reports.
- Participates in internal control and assurance activities, including assessments and spot checks of implementing partners.
- Contributes to the analysis of programme/project portfolio reviews guided by corporate tools and dashboard across management oversight related topics/themes.
- Contributes to preparing relevant reports on programme/project implementation, as well as supports consolidated reporting on complementary operational issues for management attention (e.g. audits, human resources, donor reporting).
- Contributes to annual and quarterly work-planning, programme and financial monitoring processes; regularly evaluates fund utilization and procurement plan implementation.
- Provides inputs for the preparation and revisions of UNFPA programmes/WPs with key partners and business units as may be required.
- Contributes to oversight functions of the Country Office by maintaining schedules of programme and management audits.
C. Knowledge Management and Resource Mobilization:
- Supports updating the knowledge platforms with relevant products including country programme profiles, country programme documents, mission documentation and reports, among others.
- Collaborates with the teams in preparing knowledge products reflecting emerging issues, best practices, lessons learned, etc from UNFPA-supported interventions.
- Supports advocacy and resource mobilization strategy of the CO by compiling and synthesizing relevant background materials for use in discussions and public events.
- Supports communications activities including events, products and the website to showcase the UNFPA-supported interventions and promote visibility for UNFPA and the concerned donors, in collaboration with the relevant communications and M&E staff.
- Establishes and maintains a network of donor and public information contacts and provides assistance in organizing and conducting donor meetings and public information events.
- Reviews incoming correspondence, collecting and/or preparing the necessary information for reply/action, and preparing the first drafts of responses to inquiries for action by concerned staff.
- Manages and maintains an accurate e-filing system of projects and for all counterparts.
- Prepares and distributes minutes in a timely manner and assists the team leader by following up on agreed actions and implementation of tasks.
D. Financial, Administrative and other Operational Support:
- Provides support to program staff in coordinating with implementing partners to submit accurate AWP progress reports and FACE forms in a timely manner.
- Reviews FACE form submissions to ensure that expenditures are in line with approved work plans.
- Reviews and analyzes past and current expenditures of different programmes in accordance with UNFPA’s global resource allocation system and annual guidelines, including trends in patterns of resource allocation and utilization to guide recommendations and proposals for distribution of resources provided to different programmes/partners.
- Coordinates the review and finalization of inputs for financial reports for donors.
- Provides administrative and logistical support in coordinating review meetings and other project related workshops and events.
- Collaborate with team members in the Operations Unit, on administrative and financial management tasks, including preparation of meetings, strategic events, travel, procurement and other related functions.
- Act as a back-up on selected functions to other Programme Associates during their absence.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by the supervisor and UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
- Completed Secondary Level Education required. First level university degree desirable.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of seven years of relevant experience in programme/ project management support in the private, public sector and/or in an international organization.
- Prior work experience in providing similar support to programmes and projects within the United Nations and/or an International Organization is desired;
Strong organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment respecting diversity of work teams
Sound interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to use analytical tools and logic to gather, define information, situations, problems, and draw logical conclusions to the data;
- Make timely and appropriate decisions, taking into consideration, various and complex issues.
- Computer Skills: Proficient in MS Office Packages, databases and the Internet
- Working with UN procedures and working methods, particularly with UNFPA’s agenda, policies and procedures is highly desirable.
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Fluency in English and Nepali (oral and written); knowledge of one or more of the official local languages is desirable. Other official UN languages are an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Achieving Results
- Being Accountable
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
- Thinking analytically and Strategically
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
- Communicating for Impact
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilisation
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
Notice to applicants: In accordance with the rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, are required to renounce such status upon their appointment. Exceptions to this rule are very limited and can be made only for: (a) stateless persons; (b) newly appointed staff members who have applied for citizenship by naturalization, when such citizenship will be granted imminently; (c) acting staff members in the General Service and related categories with permanent residency status, on promotion to the Professional category; (d) staff members appointed under a temporary appointment. Please understand that UNFPA is not in a position to provide advice on or assistance in applying for any citizenship.
HOW TO APPLY: UNFPA has established an electronic application management system. This allows applicants to create a candidate profile, which can be updated regularly and submitted for more than one vacancy.
A full job description of the position can be accessed at https://nepal.unfpa.org/vacancies and only online applications using this link will be accepted.
Download the Step by Step Guide to Applying in the E-Recruit System of UNFPA at https://www.unfpa.org/resources/step-step-guide-applying-jobs-unfpa Please print out the Guide for your reference during the registration and application process.
Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status. UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all, including persons with disabilities.