Organization: International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization with a mission to advance democracy worldwide, as a universal human aspiration and an enabler of sustainable development, through support to the building, strengthening and safeguarding of democratic political institutions and processes at all levels.
We believe that democracy is a universal human aspiration and an experience that is pursued and lived in different ways around the world. Beyond the basic tenets of citizens’ choice and citizens’ political equality, the critical choices are best made and the quality of democracy is best gauged by those directly concerned: the citizens themselves. We systematically nurture an open and pluralistic understanding of democracy. This is respectful of the national context, and is in line with our non-prescriptive and non-intrusive approach, as well as with the priorities set by national actors.
International IDEA produces, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes, constitution building processes, political participation and representation, as well as on democracy as it relates to gender and inclusion, conflict sensitivity and sustainable development.
It has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden, and offices in the Africa and West Asia, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and Europe regions. International IDEA is a Permanent Observer to the United Nations.
Position: Operations Officer – Kathmandu
Since 2004, International IDEA has supported three main areas of the democratic process in Nepal: transition to peace and to a democratic system, constitution building and electoral processes. During the period 2004-2015, International IDEA’s main partners included the two Constituent Assemblies, their Legislature Parliaments and Secretariats, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development and the Election Commission of Nepal.
In 2015, once the new Constitution was promulgated and Nepal became a Federal Republic with three spheres of government – federal, provincial and local – International IDEA’s work shifted towards supporting the implementation of key constitutional provisions, supporting the newly introduced federal system by strengthening local government system through deliberative political decision-making processes, in partnership with the Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration (MOFAGA) and the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID). Support also included informing and engaging citizens about their rights, roles and responsibilities in Nepal’s new federal system of governance, with support from the Governance Facility (GF).
From 2016 to date, International IDEA has been supporting the implementation of Nepal’s Constitution by contributing to effective state capability in partnership with the relevant entities of the Government of Nepal – at federal, provincial and local spheres, as well as with key development partners, in addition to continue supporting meaningful engagement of citizens through civil society actors and partners.
The Operations Officer contributes to the Nepal Programme by providing administrative and logistical support and assisting with the preparation and maintenance of contracts, records and files for the programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the implementation of the Nepal programme by providing HR, procurement and administrative support; Assists with the preparation of letters, reports, travel authorizations/claims;
- Organizes the administrative aspects of the recruitment of mentors for the Local Goverenance Support component of Coherence Phase 2; Organises and coordinates logistical arrangements for interviews; assists with the preparation and timely dissemination of interview materials; initiates and follows-up on reference checks, calculates fees and related benefits, and drafts contracts;
- Assists with processing monthly payroll;
- Manages the update and maintenance of HR information related to the mentors including personnel records and online data; Ensures all personnel documentation is complete, accurate audit ready;
- Monitors the schedule of drivers for the office, and ensures the logbook is regularly updated; Produces monthly reports on the usage of vehicle vs. fuel consumption;
- Plans and co-ordinates all procurement and contracting activities, reviews and analyzes procurement requisitions;
- Assists with the drafting of Terms of Reference and other contractual documents for consultants and service providers;
- Assists in the preparation, review, negotiation and administration of contracts and purchase orders with specific vendors. Reviews cost proposals and pricing information;
- Compares bids from vendors and recommends to whom contracts will be awarded;
- Maintains database regarding vendors performance and quality of products; Processes procurement transactions through the ERP;
- Maintains inventory records of assets of International IDEA and programmes in line with the prescribed procedures;
- Maintains registration, filling and archiving of programme documentation.
- Adds considerable value to team-based activities in his/her unit, and likely to act as an informal resource for colleagues;
collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Finance and Administrative Manager
- Has established skills to perform a range of day-to-day activities.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into his/her activities;
- Understands how the assigned duties relate to others in the team and how the team integrates with others throughout the organization;
- Uses knowledge of how the team integrates with others to accomplish team objectives;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No direct people management responsibility.
- Recognizes and solves typical problems that can occur in own work area; evaluates and selects solutions from established options.
- Impacts the quality, timeliness and effectiveness of the function; uses discretion to modify work practices and processes to achieve results or improve efficiency.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement.
- Fluent in written and oral English and Nepali is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma and preferably business and/or secretarial education; university background is considered an advantage;
- Minimum 2-3 (two – three) years working experience in administration, in the field of Human Resources and/or Procurement;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization and experience of supporting staff in remote office locations is desirable;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office package (including MS Work, Excel and PowerPoint) and Internet is required; Knowledge of ERP systems is desirable
Terms of Contract:
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Nepal.
Contract duration: Fixed term appointment until 28 February 2022
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) 12 July 2020. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- You may apply directly by pressing the Send Application button.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Last date to apply: 12 July 2020