Position: Officer – Market Services
Start of employment: 1 July 2021
Place of work: Biratnagar, Province 1, Nepal (2 days at NAMDP office and 3 days at SIP office)
Reports to: Manager Market Services
About the position
The Nepal Agricultural Market Development Programme (NAMDP) Phase-2 and Small Irrigation Programme (SIP) Phase-2 signed an MoU to collaborate around a common goal of increasing income opportunities of women and men in Province 1. The aim of the collaboration is to strengthen the supply of good quality and quantity products for agribusinesses needed to increase their performance. It also aims to increase the capacity of Water Users Associations (WUAs), farmer cooperatives and associations to sell vegetables and allied crops, contributing to farmers sustainably increasing their agricultural incomes.
Officer-Market Services willsupport the Manager-Market Services on developing strategies on linking agribusinesses looking for regular supply of vegetables for processing or trading to WUAs who will have opportunity to produce yearlong vegetable or allied crops due to access to irrigation facilities. The team will explore which WUAs are commercially viable and can respond to the needs of agribusinesses identified in forward market linkages. They will work with WUAs for the creation and development of market linkages with those agribusinesses and strengthen WUAs’ ability to meet the existing demand for quality products destined to processing and/or value addition. Her/his major tasks include:
- Day to day implementation and supervision of intervention activities in accordance with the relevant strategies related to Water User Associations supported by SIP.
- Implement interventions in line with the defined strategies and be present in the field to ensure proper implementation of activities.
- Communicate progress or any issues observed to the Manager-Market Services.
- Explore opportunities to work with relevant private sector actors, cooperatives other relevant stakeholders as per the strategies related to creating market linkages for suitable Water User Associations.
- Ensure quality of implementation and, if needed, recommending changes in intervention design or modality to improve the outcome of the interventions.
- Implement approaches and interventions that foster gender and social inclusion.
- Contribute to Federal State Building/Business Enabling Environment (FBS/BEE) by building the capacity of local government on better delivery of extension service to farmers.
- Coordinate and exchange information/ideas with other teams of NAMDP (Ag services, Non-ag services, and FSB/BEE) during design and implementation.
- Contribution to all relevant MRM processes; using MRM as a tool to improve interventions and strategies and proving results. Prepare and/or contribute to relevant documentation for MRM.
- Prepare outputs from the team in accordance with communication guidelines and needs.
- Provide input to the Yearly Plan of Operations (YPOs) and (semi-)annual progress reports from the respective teams.
- Prepare outputs from the SIP collaboration team in accordance with communication guidelines and needs.
- Maintain professional working relationships with intervention partners.
- Contribute to developing close coordination between the SIP team and NAMDP programme teams for the design of interventions.
- Comply with the Project Manual of NAMDP and other relevant requirements of Swisscontact and SDC./li>
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in agriculture commercialisation/ value chain/ private sector development or in the private sector in agriculture.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Good knowledge of agribusinesses in Nepal. Experience of working in forward production linkages (down-stream linkages) in agriculture
- Passion for learning and implementing innovative ideas.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Nepali and good command of spoken and written English
- Willingness to travel frequently, often to remote places and sometimes within short notice
Interested candidates who meet the requirements for relevant position are requested to send their current CV (maximum four A4 pages) and a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by 11:59 PM Nepal time on 31 May 2021, Monday. Along with the CV and the motivation letter, please send the duly filled in “job application form”, which is available on our website (same address as above).
In the “subject” line of your email, please mention the position applied for.
Swisscontact Nepal will not entertain any phone enquiries or other such solicitations for these positions. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the selection process. Swisscontact Nepal reserves the right to reject any or all applications.
Swisscontact Nepal promotes workforce diversity and applies positive discrimination to candidates from discriminated groups (women, Dalit, Janajati, Madhesi/Terai and other minority communities).
More Information and Application Details