National Programme Officer, Natural Sciences
Parent Sector: Field Office
Duty Station: Kathmandu
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract: Non Staff
Duration of contract: 1 year
Recruitment open to: External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time): 13.12.2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO is seeking a qualified and highly-motivated professional to serve as a National Programme Officer (NOB) for its Natural Sciences Programme in Nepal. The assignment will be based in UNESCO Kathmandu Office.
Under the overall authority and the immediate supervision of the UNESCO Head of Office, and in close collaboration with regional colleagues and the Science Divisions at the Headquarters (Ecological and Earth Sciences, Water Sciences, Science Policy and Capacity Building), the successful candidate will lead the implementation and development of UNESCO’s programmes, projects and initiatives related to the Natural Sciences in Nepal.
In particular, the successful candidate will:
- Lead the identification and implementation of programming related to core UNESCO frameworks in the Natural Sciences (e.g. Open Science, Man and the Biosphere (MAB) Programme and the International Hydrological Programme (IHP)) within the context of Agenda 2030 and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in coordination with the UNESCO Regional Bureau for Sciences (Jakarta) and the Pacific and other Programmes Specialists in the Region and at Headquarters (Paris);
- Recommend priorities for future action, building on existing work with key partners such as the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) and develop new partnerships and mobilize resources to enhance Natural Science programming in Nepal, particularly those in favour of young people, women and indigenous groups as well as and identifying measures which can enhance the potential of future MAB and Global Geopark applications;
- Lead the planning and coordination of activities aimed at improving university-level education and develop training and research in these fields, with a view to strengthening national and regional capacities in mathematics, physical and life sciences and engineering sciences and their applications; contribute to the reinforcing of national and regional capacities in mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, biotechnology and engineering science and technology as well as artificial intelligence;
- Work with the Head of Office and relevant colleagues to build a committed and dedicated UNESCO team for the Natural Sciences in Nepal, seeking constantly an approach that furthers the integration of the Natural Sciences Programme with that of Education, Culture and Communication and Information;
- Perform other related duties as required.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
Building partnerships (M)
Strategic thinking (M)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of ecological or earth sciences, basic sciences, environmental or water resources or in other natural sciences and engineering fields.
A minimum of four years of progressively responsible relevant experience in the field of ecological or earth sciences, basic science, environmental or water resources or related natural sciences fields.
Experience in developing partnerships and resource mobilization.
- Excellent written and spoken Nepalese.
- Excellent written and spoken English
Skills and Competencies for National Programme Officer
- Experience at international level preferably in an international organization and/or at a relevant research institution.
- Experience working with government representatives and officials.
- Experience in related fields, particularly in Asia.
- Familiarity with the political and scientific context of Nepal
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
Rename the “BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS” title to “APPLICATION PROCESS”, and use additional sections if required to add other relevant information.
Otherwise you can delete this section.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.