National Professional Officer (Education)
Post Number: 4NPED1000RP
Parent Sector: Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Kathmandu
Job Family: Education
Type of contract: Fixed Term Field
Duration of contract: 2 years
Recruitment open to: Internal and external candidates
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only citizens on Nepal should apply to this position.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED) and the direct supervision of the Head of the UNESCO Office in Kathmandu and UNESCO Representative to Nepal, the incumbent will provide technical and policy advice to the Ministry of Education and relevant partners to support the identification, design, implementation, reporting, monitoring, evaluation and coordination of activities and projects carried out under the UNESCO Education Programme. The incumbent will be expected to coordinate a team of personnel in their respective fields of education and bring a strong background and capability in policy development and planning. S/he will also be responsible for ensuring UNESCO’s contribution in the field of education. The National Professional Officer will be expected to perform the following responsibilities:
- Assist the Head of the Office in identifying, designing, implementing and reporting on programme activities in the field of education in Nepal within the Education 2030 Agenda and its Framework for Action, as well as the Education Sector’s global and regional strategies and priorities.
- Contribute to building the national and local institutional capacities and priorities towards inclusive and equitable quality education and lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- Provide technical and policy advice to the Ministry of Education and relevant partners.
- Lead the participation of UNESCO in UN Joint Programming exercises in the field of education within the Common Country Assessments/United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF).
- Articulate and propose strategies for UNESCO’s intervention and assistance in the field of emerging and innovative educational themes, e.g. education for sustainable development (ESD), ICTs for education, global citizenship education and ensure gender mainstreaming in education.
- Develop in collaboration with other Programme Officers interdisciplinary project proposals aimed at consolidating and complementing the activities in education funded by the Regular Programme budget.
- Formulate resource mobilization partnerships and strategies with key donors and stakeholders. Play an active role in the preparation of fundraising proposals and strategy documents.
- Prepare and submit quarterly/yearly work plans of activities and projects per approved project documents.
- Identify and coordinate policy research activities in education in Nepal (new emerging and global trends), and contribute to the development of pertinent strategy papers, technical notes, frameworks and documents, articles related to the implementation of the Education 2030 Agenda and its Framework for Action in Nepal.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education, social sciences or in another related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience in the field of of education, including the planning, implementation and monitoring of education programmes at the national level.
- Proven experience in programme management, advocacy, resources and partnership mobilization.
Skills and competencies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to demonstrate discretion and maturity of judgment in the execution of duties.
- Strong knowledge of the education system and relevant education issues of Nepal.
- Demonstrated ability to operationalize programme concepts.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment with external and internal partners.
- Ability to take initiative, establish priorities, coordinate and monitor own work plan.
- Results oriented approach to completing assigned tasks.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and in a multitasking manner, respecting tight deadlines and delivering on the standards required.
- Solid computer skills including advanced knowledge of office software such as Word and Excel.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and Nepali.
- Experience acquired in the UN System or other international organizations, in the field of education.
Skills and competencies
- Good knowledge of the work and general functioning of UNESCO and the UN System.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time): 25-JUN-2022