Website World Vision
National Director – WV Nepal
Locations: Kusunti, KC Tower, Lalitpur, Nepal
Time type: Full time
Job requisition id: R6532
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type:
International Assignment – Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
*Please submit your CV in English.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The National Director (ND) of World Vision International (WVI) Nepal has overall responsibility for the strategic leadership and operational effectiveness of World Vision’s programmes in Nepal. Our 2021-2025 Country Strategy aims to deliver results for the well-being of children especially the most vulnerable ones, and focuses on integrated livelihoods & nutrition, inclusive & high quality education, child protection & participation, humanitarian response, disaster resilience, strategic partnerships, gender equality and social inclusion.
The ND is expected to lead the office in pursuing these strategic goals, being an effective leader locally, a responsible member of the WVI Partnership, ensuring WVI Nepal’s consistent focus on WVI’s Our Promise strategy to maximise impact – well-being of the most vulnerable children, families and communities, while adapting WVI standards to the changing context in Nepal.
The ND would need to collaborate effectively with other WVI offices and divisions to achieve shared child well-being objectives, and externally fosters collaboration with Government of Nepal at the municipal (palika), provincial and federal levels, civil society organisations (CSOs), development partners, local community leaders and the private sector. The ND discharges various functions under a Power of Attorney, in doing so, the ND should maximise stewardship and effectiveness of cost through use of appropriate operating models.
The ND should model a high standard of servant leadership and integrity through lifestyle and work relationships and be a fine exemplar of WVI’s Christian faith based Vision, Mission and Core Values.
Child Well-being Aspirations / Outcomes and Targets:
- Delivering improved outcomes for children in line with the WVI Nepal Country Strategy 2021-2025 and contextualized WVI’s global Our Promise strategy for the most vulnerable children.
- Providing strategic oversight and leadership to ensure impactful programs implementation through local partner Non-Government Organizations (PNGOs), evidence generation and learning,
- Preparing for and implementing rapid and effective responses to major emergencies affecting children, including having an up to date preparedness plan and Business Continuity Plan (BCP), and building relationships with key humanitarian and development actors.
- Creating enabling environment to champion innovative programming, process and systems.
- Effective execution of Country Strategy and Annual Work Plan meeting desired child well-being results and organizational efficiency.
- Evidenced-based programs result.
- Well-trained and ready to deploy National Disaster Management Team (NDMT)
Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs (HEA) organization score card meet the highest standard and updated BCP
- Innovative programming and systems at scale.
Lead effective external engagement and strategic partnership for child well-being, locally and internationally as a WVI Twin Citizen:
- Defining strategic partnership objectives with Government of Nepal at all levels, CSOs, Development Partners, Local Community Leaders including inter-faith leaders, and Private Sector (including Media) to achieve shared child well-being objectives.
- Building relationship with key decision makers and partnership including strategic national partners towards shared child well-being objectives.
- Coaching Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and external-facing Senior Managers to pro-actively and constructively engage with external partners in influencing programs and policy development and implementation on child rights issues through multiple development, advocacy and humanitarian forums (i.e. Technical Working Groups of Association of INGOs in Nepal/ AIN, Provincial Partner Coordination Meeting, Humanitarian Cluster and Development Partners Coordination).
- Acting as a Twin Citizen ensuring that National Office participate in global processes and decisions and allocates resources and talent where most needed (Partnership wide), share and apply relevant good practices.
- Championing effective implementation of global pilot on pooled resources of Child Sponsorship Funding Model (CSFM) to increase impacts on child well-being in partnership with Global, Regional and Support (Funding) Offices.
- Clear and up to date Strategic Partners list and objectives, aligned with Country Strategy and Annual Work Plan.
- WVI Nepal plays significant role and effective partner in changing policy issues for the increased well-being of children.
- Cohesive external engagement to promote feasibility of at-scale innovative programming, policy influence and resources mobilization.
- WVI Nepal successfully source, adapts and implement Partnership and industry best practices.
- Effective CSFM implementation and lessons learned documented.
- Regular communications with key stakeholders (governments, donors, INGOs, media)
Achieve Operational and Stewardship Excellence and Optimal Yield to Ministry:
- Ensuring functioning project management information system and other support systems so that all programs are managed on time, on budget and on targets, in achieving the desired impact on child well-being.
- Ensuring program quality through rigorous program management cycle (design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, learning) and effective execution of community accountability system and PNGOs capacity strengthening.
- Ensuring effective stewardship and accountability of WVI Nepal resources, finances and people, consistent with performance standards established by WVI.
- Implementing fit-for-purpose and adaptive organization and cost structure and systems/process supportive for effective field implementation and organizational efficiency
- Promoting and model high level of transparency, integrity and zero tolerance to fraud
- Ensuring pro-active risks identification, mitigation and review in collaboration with Risks Committee.
- Ensuring organizational compliance to relevant Government directives and laws and WVI Bylaws.
- In dialogue with Global and Regional Office for potential future implementation of shared support services in the region tailored to Nepal’s context.
- Effective programs implementation meeting desired results (time, budget, target indicators) evidenced by relevant project information system and relevant organization performance dashboards.
- Efficient management of human, financial, capital and technical resources, including optimal growth on yield to ministry (resources to field implementation)
- Program Support Cost ratio and other efficiency ratio correspond to organizational standards
- Minimum of Acceptable Risk audit opinion and zero tolerance to fraud
- Risks are known and effectively managed.
Increase and Diversify Funding Portfolio:
- Ensuring that business development plans, cross-function collaboration system, decision making process, and the necessary staffing are in place to maintain, diversify and grow the funding base for the country programs, supports the donor engagement plan as needed, liaising pro-actively and extensively with funding offices, as well as the bilateral and multilateral donor communities.
- Facilitate effective consortium and partnership formation with key partners
- Ensuring high level quality check and compliance with relevant WVI, government, and donors.
- Diverse and integrated funding portfolios meeting agreed targets.
- Streamlined donors’ engagement implementation.
- Signed partnership with consortium and strategic partners.
Enable thriving and inclusive organisational culture and build high performing team:
- Serving as a role model and lead as example on servant leadership, aspired organization cultures and WVI core values
- Building a culture of workplace diversity and inclusion, including appropriate gender and ethnicity diversity across all levels of staff, and appropriate implementation of WVI core values in respect to multi faith context in Nepal
- Support in cultivating a culture of creative thinking valuing creativity, out-of-the box thinking to bring solutions to the challenges faced at work and in the community where WVI Nepal serves.
- Ensuring effective performance management implementation & fit-for-purpose capacity building programs for all staff are in place and delivered
- Building succession of identified critical roles
- Demonstrated mature and servant leadership including understanding and commitment to our Vision, Mission and WVI Christian faith-based identity
- Demonstrated understanding in building inclusive workforce in respect to local cultures and common-values shared by all staff and partners with various background
- Established culture of innovation, healthy and thriving work environment
- Organizational succession plans, capacity gap analysis and personal development plans are established, high caliber internal candidates are available for key positions in country and globally.
- Highly engaged staff, high performing staff retention.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent understanding of the political, social and economic context in South Asia Pacific countries, particularly in Nepal, and its impact on WVI as a Christian International NGO
- Substantial programme management experience at a senior level in a developing country context, with evidence of both responsibility and accountability.
- Evidence of organizational leadership experiences in managing complexity and organizational risks
- Demonstrable capacity based on experience to implement high quality development, relief and advocacy programs.
- Commitment to World Vision’s objectives, ethos, core ministries, Mission Statement and Core Values is mandatory.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and demonstrated ability to communicate and appreciate the cross-cultural environment.
- Proven ability to engage at a strategic level and maintain quality networks with senior Government officials, multilateral and bilateral organizations, INGO, UN, Think Tank, and Media.
- Good networking skills with multilateral and bilateral donors, corporates, foundations and a proven ability to access and implement and manage grant funded programs.
- Ability to advocate and influence people and groups.
- Strategic thinking with an action orientated approach to programme implementation, income generation and grant acquisition.
- Ability to manage external relations with other WV stakeholder offices (Regional and Support Offices) and understand and adapt to multiple stakeholder accountability relationships.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to build personal and team-based relationships with staff, partners and leaders at all levels with a sound understanding of cross culture working environment.
- Must provide leadership and a lifestyle that reflects well of a faith-based NGO and that respects the local cultures
- Capable and competent to make key decisions impacting the safety and wellbeing of WV staff members.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience with training and experience in international development, public policy, child rights, and or organizational leadership and management.
- Requires ability to travel (internally in Nepal on a regular basis, as well as externally in the Asia region and internationally) approximately 30% of working time.
- Excellent communications skills in English; knowledge of Nepali would be an advantage
Preferred Knowledge and Qualifications
- Working knowledge of World Vision programs, systems and international partnership structure is preferred.
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local and International Applicants (IA’s) Accepted
To apply for this job please visit worldvision.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.