Website United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Municipal Information Associate (2 openings, Dadheldura and Dhangadi) (NPSA6)
Job Identification: 3700
Locations: Dhadheldhura, Dhangadi
Degree Level: Secondary School Leaving Certificate
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: Disaster Risk Reduction and Recovery
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience: Bachelor’s Degree – 3 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 6 year(s) experience
Required Languages: Nepali and English
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Strengthening Urban Preparedness, Earthquake Preparedness and Response in Western Region of Nepal (SUPER) project seeks to enhance municipal and provincial preparedness for impending urban and earthquake risks for effective disaster response in select places in the western regions of Nepal. It does so by enhancing the understanding of risk, the preparedness measures against it, and coordinates among state and non-state stakeholders including private sectors, whilst engaging the at-risk communities. The project is funded by the European Union Humanitarian Aid and responds to the Humanitarian Implementation Plan (HIP) 2021 call for both earthquake preparedness in Western Nepal and urban preparedness.
SUPER is implemented by a UNDP-led consortium, with UNICEF and UN Women as consortium members. The project works with multiple stakeholders at provincial and local government levels such as the community, private sector, academia, international institutions, UN agencies, Red Cross, I/NGO and more. The project results will be delivered under the leadership of respective government authorities. The project will be implemented in 3 provinces of Western Nepal i.e. Lumbini, Karnali and Sudurpaschim, encompassing the core urban areas of Nepalgunj (Banke), Dhangadi (Kailali), Amargadi (Dadeldhura) and Jay Prithivi (Bajhang) urban municipalities.
Under the overall supervision of the National Project Coordinator, and direct supervision of the Municipal Technical Associate, the Municipal Information Associate will report directly to the Municipal Technical Associate and also to the Provincial Coordinator and be responsible for supporting the implementation of the project in the respective municipalities. The Municipal Information Associate will work with the entire municipal and provincial team and assist the Provincial Technical Officer and Provincial Coordinator in coordinating with the municipalities. Along with that s/he will also support provincial-related technical work and ensure interlinkages while carrying out the project activities at the municipal level.
Duties and Responsibilities
Municipal Information Associate will report to and work under the technical guidance of the Municipal Technical Officer, Provincial Coordinator, and Provincial Technical Officer under the overall guidance of the National Project Coordinator. The incumbent will be based in Dhangadi and Amargadi municipalities with frequent travel to the project areas in Sudur Paschim province.
Maintain effective coordination at the local level as well as within the project components:
- Support the Provincial Coordinator and Municipal Technical Officer in close coordination and necessary linkages with the municipal governments, departments/Section Provincial/ Municipal and District Emergency Operation Centres (DEOCs), partners, other government entities at the local level including ward offices, line agencies, Tole Lane Organizations, women groups, and the local people including most vulnerable groups of people.
- Maintain smooth communication/ coordination with project staff in Kathmandu and other provincial and municipal technical officers, admin and finance officers and other staff based in provinces and municipalities
- Support to synchronizing project’s field level activities under different components of the project with the actions of different actors working on urban and earthquake risk management issues from the respective local level
- Support in the smooth functioning of MEOC
Support effective management of project for timely delivery of quality outputs:
- For/under Municipal DM Unit and Municipal Emergency Operation Center, carry out day-to-day management and quality delivery of Disaster Information Management System (inclusive of bipad.gov.np) outputs in a timely, efficient and dynamic manner.
- Ensure timely collection of the required information and uploading into online DIMS with all necessary features through consultative and participatory approach management of DIMS data on a daily basis.
- Develop report generation modules as and when required.
- Maintain project-specific data and municipal data: quantitative and qualitative on DRM issues in the desired form.
- Ensure execution of IT and DIMS activities in consistent with the MEOC objectives and plans and relevant to the DRM context of the Municipality.
- Provide support to ward offices on their disaster-related information management both online and offline.
- Provide technical support to the project team, as a core team member, and to the Municipality on any specific disaster-related IM works.
- Assist in MEOC operation management.
Support the project team in knowledge management in generating, documenting and disseminating high-quality information and knowledge about the project, best practices and lessons learned.
- Contribute to the development of relevant knowledge products.
- Contribute to relevant knowledge networks and communities of practice
Provide technical support to the project team to achieve project outputs:
- Support to conduct baseline, midline and end-line Knowledge Attitude and Perception (KAP) surveys and support organizing simulation exercises at the municipal level and when required also the provincial level.
- Support in preparation of GIS Maps and other maps at the municipal level along with validation and dissemination.
- Collect disaster-related different data including hazards, risk and vulnerability from project-specific areas and of the overall the municipality where available and applicable, including different maps such as GIS maps and upload on to the DIMS.
- Generate periodically, hazard-specific data and dashboards.
- Generate/develop required GIS maps from collected data.
- Develop a data repository of DRRM actors and capacities in the municipality, e.g 4W.
- Provide technical support in capacity building of Municipal staff on DIMS operation.
- Support in changing the layout of some of the data entry forms.
- Ensure the disaster information received at MEOC or at any emergency service provider reaches to the respective agency as a trigger, through an established alert system from entered data.
- Develop timely and efficient management of information on municipal level activities on DRM including the project.
- Regularly update DIMS with municipal information.
- Ensure smooth progress on DRM knowledge management and dissemination.
- Support in the generation of required information through online system as and when required.
- Provide capacity-building support to DRM officials of the municipality and its MEOC.
- Support inefficient data management of the MEOC.
- Contribute to the development of relevant knowledge products
Support the monitoring, preparation of reports and documents, communication/ knowledge management and Gender Equality And Social Inclusion (GESI):
- Contribute to timely preparation and quality control of technical and progress reports, briefs and other required documents.
- Support in ensuring project data/information are maintained in line with project M&E framework in a disaggregated fashion.
- Support in ensuring that project approaches, monitoring systems and reporting mainstream the aspects of gender and social inclusion with adequate GESI sensitive data collection and tailored support.
- Support for documentation of project results and achievements and their dissemination in coordination with the provincial coordinator
- Work closely with Communication officer and Municipal Technical officer and to collect and comply, with reports, data, news, events, human stories, challenges and lessons learned to publish in periodic reports
- Support in integration of GESI aspects in all stages of the project in coordination with the GESI Focal Person of the UNDP/CDRMP/ SUPER project
- Perform any other related task as per the request of the Municipal Technical Officer, Provincial coordinator, Provincial Technical Officer, Project Coordinator and SUPER project team
Preparation of process/ technical reports/ documents, communication/ knowledge management and Gender Equality And Social Inclusion (GESI):
- Support in timely preparation and quality control of technical and progress reports, briefs and other required documents.
- Support maintenance of project data/information in line with project M&E framework in a disaggregated fashion.
- Support to updating and completing the documentation of project results and achievements and their dissemination in coordination with the Municipal Technical Officer, Provincial Coordinator, and Provincial Technical Officer.
- Work together with Communication and Reporting Officer and guide to collect and compile reports, data, news, events, human stories, challenges and lessons learned to publish in periodic reports.
- Work together with Municipal Technical Officer, Provincial Coordinator and Provincial Technical Officer in integrating GESI aspects in all stages of the project in coordination with GESI Focal Person of SUPER project and consortium members.
Perform any other related tasks assigned by National Project Coordinator, Provincial Coordinator, Provincial Technical Officer And Municipal Technical Officer.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Business Direction & Strategy:
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritised plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions; Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP;
- Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus on improved performance and demonstrable results
- Project management: Ability to plan, organise, prioritise and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience; Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Knowledge Facilitation: Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally
Required Skills and Experience
- High School diploma is required or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, /Computer Science, Information technology or relevant field will be given due consideration
- Minimum of 6 years with High school diploma or 3 years with Bachelor’s Degree of relevant work experience in web design, graphic design, and web development
- Familiarity with disaster management systems at national and district levels
- Information Technology and networking skills
- Knowledge of ArcGIS or other mapping software
- Excellent command of MS office package (MS Word, Excel etc.) and other data management and visualization tools including GIS software
- Professional expertise in developing new modules and modifying existing modules of DIMS and in designing, developing and mastering a similar system
- Database design, administration and maintenance.
- Good understanding of other applications for data management and project monitoring including innovative tools and technologies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Nepali and English are required
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Apply Before: 07/21/2022, 11:59 PM