Position: MEL Specialist
Job Location: Kathmandu
At Itad, we work to make international development as effective as possible to improve more lives. We have done so since 1984. This means giving organisations the information and insight they need to make development work smarter and produce better results. It is complex, meticulous monitoring and evaluation work involving many different stakeholders across many different scenarios – exactly the kind of challenge on which we thrive. We work with governments, non-profits, universities, foundations and the private sector to support organisational learning and programme adaptation across a wide variety of international development contexts. To learn more about Itad, please visit our website: www.itad.com
We are seeking MEL Specialist(s) for an anticipated five-year monitoring, evaluation and learning contract. The position will be based in Katmandu, Nepal. The ideal candidate is a senior Nepalese monitoring, evaluation and learning professional. They are solution oriented, resourceful, engaged, and able to work closely with and advise USAID. They are a leader who wants to help improve how development is delivered and are passionate about data and learning.
The MEL Specialist(s) will support the Chief of Party (COP) and USAID to provide guidance, technical leadership and technical oversight for teams supporting monitoring, evaluation and learning assignments for USAID and their partners. The MEL Specialist(s) will provide expert level support and advice on MEL assignments and have a deep understanding of the USAID Program Cycle and the portfolio of investment in Nepal. They will be an innovator and enjoy learning and new challenges. They will be an excellent writer and public speaker and able to synthesize qualitative or quantitative data with a high level of quality. A senior leader—they can provide technical oversight on all types of MEL deliverables and also manage personnel, a budget, and the safety and security of staff. The period of performance is anticipated to be five years.
Duties and responsibilities
• Support the COP to deliver high quality monitoring, evaluation, and learning services as required by USAID, specializing in one area, but able to deliver on all areas of MEL
• Represents the company to USAID technical officers and implementing partners
• Provides senior level technical and managerial support on projects, such as designing, conducting or managing evaluations, strategy consulting, learning agenda development, training, or other tasks as required
• Assists with trouble shooting and problem-solving when the need arises, including delivering services to the client when required
Knowledge, skills and experience
• Recognized senior level expert in the monitoring, evaluation, and learning sector with strong management and people skills
• Strong quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills blended with expert writing and verbal communication skills in English and Nepali
• Is comfortable with monitoring, evaluation and learning assignments
• Excellent trainer and committed to capacity building approaches
• Solution-oriented and a nice person to work with
• Loves to learn and willing to experiment with new technology and new ways of working
• Technical expertise in one or more thematic sectors (such as health, democracy and governance, education, civil society strengthening, environment etc.) a strong plus
• Conference presentation and/or publication record preferred
• Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment
• Preference for a Nepali national
Education and experience
• Master’s degree in relevant field or Ph.D. in the Social Sciences.
• 10+ years of experience in monitoring, evaluation and management consulting in international development programs
• Experience working on USAID funded projects
Itad is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.