Website Care Nepal
Functional Title: MEL Manager
Responsibility Level / Grade: Central Level Staff
Department/ Project/ PN: USAID ARH Project
Workstation: Central Office, Kathmandu
Incumbent’s Name: To be determined
Supervisor/ Principal Evaluator: Director for Data Collection, Analytics and Use
USAID Adolescent Reproductive Health (ARH), is an adolescent co-led initiative to empower girls and boys, 10-19 years and including the most marginalized, to attain their adolescent reproductive health (ARH) rights. The goal of the program is to support adolescents to reach their full potential by; ensuring they receive correct and appropriate reproductive health (RH) information and guidance to decision-making skills, creating an environment conductive to making healthy reproductive health decisions and facilitating translation of these decisions into healthy behaviors.
The Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager will lead the overall development and management of the MEL DHIS 2 platform, processes, and practices of USAID funded Adolescent Reproductive Health (ARH) project. S/he will be responsible for providing leadership, capacity building, systems strengthening, and guidance to ARH project staff to support quality MEL processes; ensuring the quality of data, capturing results, building evidence of project success, and encouraging adaptive learning across project consortium partners. S/he will ensure that all data collected, compiled, analyzed are accurate, appropriate, complete, consistent, and timely. S/he will be responsible for managing province level MEL staff of ARH project, develop MEL framework including designing tools, methods and process for monitoring of the project to ensure to track progress and results. S/he will also guide and provide technical support for operation research, studies, and surveys for ARH learning and research questions related activities and dissemination of the study findings. S/he will also provide technical assistance in monitoring and evaluation, conduct periodic assessment, and prepare quarterly progress reports for USAID, Government and others as required. S/he will also feed in ARH project contributions to CARE Nepal and global MEL processes including PIRS and other MEL/KM initiatives. The employee shall fully comply with CARE policies and procedures and should be accountable for it.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
R1. Develop MEL DHIS2 platform, implement and maintain efficient and effective MEL processes and practice
- Develop and implement DHIS2 based MEL platform for ARH project jointly with Director Data Collection, Analytics, and Use.
- Prepare DHIS2 MEL platform user guide/manual and facilitate capacity-building events for consortium staff and province-level M&E/MIS specialists to roll out and use the system efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure the quality of the data uploaded into the DHIS2 platform jointly with province- level M&E/MIS specialists.
- Develop a MEL plan, tools, and procedure guide to measuring progress in line with the ARH result framework.
- Assist Director Data Collection, Analytics, and Use to design/update MEL Framework/ToC and program indicators based on periodic monitoring and evaluation data
- Assist Director Data Collection, Analytics, and Use in developing tools for data collection, processing, and analysis in line with donor and CARE’s requirements, and assess progress towards project result framework with organizational monitoring process in place.
- Ensure integration of CARE’s common indicators (key change areas) into key MEL outputs, including MEL plans, baseline studies and evaluations.
- Support program team to set leaning agendas of the team and contribute to a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
- Support the adoption of relevant MEL tools and methodologies to embed accountability to beneficiaries and donors and enhance MEL practice and quality.
- Build and maintain high-level coordination with Government counterparts at federal and province and extend technical support for improved MEL system of ARH activities in the government system.
R2. Preparing Periodic Progress Reports and Data Quality Assurance
- Ensure quality of data before its use for reporting by conducting a data quality audit on sample basis.
- Capacity enhancement of consortium and local partners in survey activities including designing of methodologies, development of tools, data collection and quality control.
- Support the project team in data collection, management, and use in evidence-based adaptive management and planning at a different level.
- Ensure the data from users’ engagement with the GOC platform provide insights into how their knowledge of key concepts and competencies are improving, and the extent to which the platform is linking them to external FP/RH products and services.
- Ensure compiled and consolidate qualitative and quantitative data from all consortium partners are in line with the results framework and reporting requirement.
- Prepare periodic progress reports based on the data in the DHIS2 platform and share them with the relevant project team, consortium partners, and USAID.
- Compile reports from consortium partners and perform quality check of the reports (progress reports, event reports and quarterly/annual reports).
- Ensure IR2 & IR3 relevant periodic ARH project data is fed into the Health Management Information System.
- Compile and prepare PIIRS (Project Information and Impact Reporting System) and other institutional reports for ARH project.
- Build capacity of the consortium partners to analyze qualitative and quantitative data periodically and produce high-quality periodic reports.
- Work closely with the province team to ensure that systems and data processes remain in line with program MEL requirements and are continuously improving.
R3. Consortium Partners Staff Capacity Building on MEL
- Assess the capacity of the consortium partners and support for organizing capacity-building training and orientation about the specific reporting tools and process.
- Develop and manage MEL capacity strengthening plan for the MEL team, consortium team; and provide mentoring and training on selected topics.
- Ensure gender sensitive, inclusive and participatory processes across MEL components
- Support consortium team to assess/plan M&E and data management related processes, address training needs of project staff, and prepare progress reports in line with MEL capacity building plan.
R4. Monitoring, Periodic Assessment and Learnings
- Take a lead in the external evaluation (Baseline, Midline and End line) and annual survey for periodic progress monitoring and evaluation and provide technical support to project team during survey and mid-term/final evaluation and end-line process as per the project requirement.
- Jointly work with Research and Knowledge Management Manager to update and strengthen knowledge management of Project, and hold regular reflection for programmatic and institutional learning.
- Take lead to organize periodic review and reflections meeting at federal and provincial level based on the results level analytical reports regularly for regular reflection and adaptive learning process.
- Visit provincial offices and partners to make sure that the project activities are being conducted accordingly and provide immediate feedback.
- Take lead to conduct qualitative monitoring with Rolling Profiles through Semi-annual interviews with select groups of the same sentinel respondents to track their social norms and outcome changes over time.
- Take lead to conduct Rapid Annual Participant-Based Surveys with adolescents, community members, and health workers, using a mix of household-based and digital techniques to understand if and how we are achieving key outcomes, including changes in attitudes, knowledge, and practices.
- Organize joint monitoring visits (Government and project) at project sites to ensure that process is being followed accordingly and quality of work is maintained.
R5. Human Resource Management
- Supervise and Identify development needs of direct reports (Province level M&E/MIS Specialist) and arrange appropriate strategies and actions for capacitating their skills and knowledge in consultation with Supervisor.
- Ensure that all administrative functions (timesheets, staff performance review) are conducted in a timely manner.
- Ensure performance management (APAA) of direct reports; and facilitate their capacity development though training needs assessment, coaching mentoring, and other relevant activities.
- Develop and practice learning and appreciate culture in the team.
- Support and actively participate in Country office and program level initiatives for team performance.
R6 Upholding CARE’s Core values and ensuring its principles
- Link and demonstrate CARE Nepal’s core values, programming principles, strategic objects, gender equity, equality & social inclusion in programming and behaviors
- Comply and exercise organizational values and culture
- Help to promote rights and good governance
- Responsible for gender responsive behavior in all actions and decisions
- Perform as a focal person for the capacity enhancement and regular monitoring of the US Family Planning and Abortion Requirements of the entire relevant project staffs.
Spending Authority: As per ASF
Supervision: Direct supervision of province level M&E/MIS Specialist
Based in Kathmandu with estimated 40% travel to project implementing districts.
PERSON SPECIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s Degree in relevant field such as public health, knowledge management, demography, development studies, research, social science and analysis, or equivalent; ideally with a strong focus on health research and learning.
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience in MEL lead role in international development programming context with demonstrated experience in both quantitative and qualitative methods. Proven people management experience.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong understanding of USAID funded projects and programs and experience in development and implementation of project MEL system, tools, methods, processes and learning plan. Understanding of quasi experimental evaluation design and outcome mapping will be an added advantage.
- Good training and facilitation skills, and proven experience in capacity building in the development field.
- Solid experience in data analysis and generating learning to guide adaptive management for project implementation and contribution in design process
- Strong command of MS Excel; Knowledge and experience of using statistical tools/ software packages (STATA, SPSS, R, NVivo etc. an advantage.
- Strong experience of working in project cycle management approach to establish MEL system will be a greater advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal, time management and organizational skills with a proven ability to deal with multiple tasks; establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Nepali, with particular emphasis on oral communication with research participants, with high level academic writing skills.
- Planning and organizing – Able to define work goals and objectives; develop and execute work plans; and contribute to the achievement of work group objectives
- Teamwork – Able to work effectively with a team
- Developing others – Able to foster the development of others by providing a supportive learning environment
- Communicating and sharing ideas and information – Able to present information and express opinions confidently to internal and external audiences
- Writing – Able to communicate ideas and information in writing to ensure that information and messages are understood and have the desired impact
- Initiative – Deals with situations and issues proactively and persistently
- Embracing and Valuing Diversity – Able to contribute effectively to a culture that positively values the diversity of people, values and ideas within CARE Nepal
- Influencing – Able to generate commitment and build consensus among others and gain their support
- Innovation – Demonstrates openness to new ideas, seeks out new opportunities
- Interpersonal sensitivity – Able to communicate with sensitivity and foster communication, actively listening to other