Website World Health Organization
Medical Officer for NCDs – (2301185)
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): Till 31 December 2023
Primary Location: Nepal
Organization: SE_NEP WR Office, Nepal
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
Terms of Reference
The Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) is scaling up evidence-based screening, early detection and management of NCDs to improve access to basic health services to achieve universal health coverage (UHC). The effort to improve services for cardiovascular diseases (CVDs), diabetes chronic respiratory diseases (CRDs) through the package of essential noncommunicable disease (PEN) programme at the frontline health services has been a key focus of the MoHP. Other conditions such as chronic kidney disease and sickle cell disease remain important national priority. In addition, the country has made commitment to align the national responses with the global health agenda that include addressing cancer control, cervical cancer elimination, improving access to childhood cancer, Rheumatic Heart Disease, and scaling up palliative care services.
The WHO Country Office needs to be fully geared to support the MoHP in addressing the rapidly emerging areas of NCDs to achieve the UHC goal. A medical officer will be hired through SSA contract to support the WHO country office for NCD management.
Summary of Assigned Duties:
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative and the direct supervision of the Team Lead (NCD), the incumbent will perform the following specific tasks:
- Technical support in development and integration of NCD standardized protocols for cardiovascular diseases (CVDs), chronic respiratory diseases (CRDs), diabetes, cancer, chronic kidney disease, rheumatic heart disease, sickle cell disease and palliative care at the primary health care level.
- Support development of tools to advance implementation of the basic health service package for NCDs and implement solutions to improve supply of core medicines and supplies.
- Support building chronic care services with priority focus on stroke care, palliative care and management of emerging chronic conditions.
- Support in building innovative networks related to building alliances related to people living with NCDs.
- Support development of policy advocacy and toolkits related to NCD care pathways, document case stories, and compile emerging lessons of the field.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the supervisors. This includes duty travel or duty-station reassignment on short notice as per the program requirements.
Essential: Advanced university in the field of clinical medicine
Desirable: Master’s in public health
Essential: At least six years of combined experience in teaching, clinical practice, and some of which is in design and delivery of public health care system with focus on NCDs including cancer, cardiovascular diseases
Desirable: Implementation research on NCDs and health systems with focus on primary health care services will be an asset.
Functional Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to collate evidence and synthesize complex clinical and scientific information
- Ability to multitask and coordinate multiple work streams at the same time
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tact, discretion and diplomacy.
- Ability to effectively work with government, development partners and collaborating agencies.
Other Skills (eg IT):
- Proficiency in the use of modern office software packages such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.) and standard office equipment.
- Knowledge of online communication best practices.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills:
Essential: Expert knowledge of English and Nepali
Monthly Salary: (Net of tax) NPR 239,245.00. at single rate (taxable as per Nepal Government laws and appointment will be through Special Services Agreement (SSA))
Grade: SSA Level 9
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
- This Vacancy Notice may be used to fill similar positions at the same level.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test and interviews will be used as a form of screening
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- Any extension of appointment would be subject to programmatic requirements, performance of the incumbent and availability of funds.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: Mar 15, 2023, 4:44:00 AM