Position: National Project Manager- 1 position, Level: SB 5/ Peg 2
Location : Kathmandu, NEPAL
Additional Category : Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Type of Contract : Other
Post Level : Other
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : One year with possibility of extension
Accelerating Implementation of Sustainable Development Goals in Nepal is a joint project of National Planning Commission (NPC) and UNDP which is implemented under the National Implementation Modality (NIM) from Jan 2020 to Dec 2023. The project is supported by UNDP Nepal, UN Environment, European Union and Austrian Development Agency. The project aims to support Nepal in achieving the SDGs by creating enabling environment and capacity development to mitigate SDGs financing gap as well as through accelerated implementation. To achieve this, the project works with federal, provincial and local governments as well as private sector and CSOs, for SDG based planning, budgeting and investment with focus on poverty-environment-climate/disaster and Gender equality & Social inclusion concerns. The objective of the project will be achieved through two inter-linked outcomes: 1) Planning, budgeting, monitoring & reporting systems at all levels of government are SDG responsive and functional; and 2) Resilient and innovative financing available for SDG implementation.
The National Project Manager will work under the guidance and supervision of the National Project Director, the National Project Coordinator and Economic Management division of NPC. He/she will also work in close collaboration with all other division of NPC, UNDP, relevant government entities, development partners and other relevant stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Facilitate the provision of technical and advisory support to National Planning Commission especially in the area of Macro Economic analysis and Economic Planning considering the agenda of 2030 and 15th Periodic Plan;
• Day to day management of the project and its implementation under the guidance of the National Project Director and National Project Coordinator and Concerned staff of the UNDP;
• Recruitment, coordination, and supervision of staff, consultants and contractors;
• Coordination, management and monitoring of project finances, administration, procurement and logistics;
• Developing and maintain strong coordination with the donors, implementing partners and other counterparts;
• Monitoring, evaluation, reporting, knowledge management and communication of the project.
The key Responsibilities of the assignment are:
1) Facilitate the provision of technical and advisory support to National Planning Commission especially in the area of Macro Economic Analysis and Economic planning considering the agenda of 2030 and 15th periodic plan.
• Facilitate the process to prepare policy brief In line with 15th Plan, SDGs Road map and its Financing Strategy.
2) Day to day management of the project and its implementation under the guidance of the National Project Director and National Project Coordinator and Concerned staff of the UNDP
• Ensure that all activities under each output are prepared in a timely manner and implemented in accordance with stated outcomes and performance indicators;
• Prepare Annual Work Plans, Quarterly Work Plans and other documents for the approval of the Project Board;
• Ensure project resources, aligned with overall project resources are effectively used to achieve set project outputs and outcomes;
• Monitor and manage project progress and update risk management status to the National Project Director and National Project Coordinator;
• Lead monitoring, quality data collection and timely submission of technical and progress reports to the donor, partners, and UNDP;
• Liaise with the UNDP Portfolio Analyst for assuring project quality and the operational compliance with the UNDP rules and regulations;
• Organize Project Board meetings on a regular basis and maintain Minutes and Administrative Procedures;
• Consult with the Project Board through the National Project Director/National Project Coordinator on any issues that require the Board’s attention, including issues related to deviation from the approved work plans and deviation from the approved target and/or budget;
• Perform the other tasks instructed by National Project Director and National Project Coordinator.
3) Recruitment, coordination, and supervision of staff, consultants and contractors.
• Lead recruitment planning and day-to-day management of all project personnel (staff, consultants and contractors);
• Develop terms of reference and technical specifications of staff, consultants and contractors;
• Coordinate and manage the recruitment process in consultation with the UNDP Country Office;
• Provide supervision and coordination of the work of project personnel to ensure delivery of project outputs and outcomes in a timely manner.
4) Coordination, management and monitoring of project finances, administration, procurement and logistics.
• Act as the focal point for the UNDP Country Office to ensure that all financial and administrative matters related to the project are transparently, expediently, and effectively managed in line with UNDP rules and regulations;
• Develop narrative and financial reports for the Project Board and to the donor;
• Coordinate and support all activities for the annual audit exercise and follow-up on the audit recommendations;
• Ensure timely preparation and implementation of the procurement plan;
• Support proper use and maintenance of office equipment.
5) Developing and maintain strong relationships with the donor, implementing partners and other counterparts.
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with key stakeholders, government, non-government organizations, academia and private sectors;
• Keep abreast of SDGs related progress, achievement and challenges emerging in Nepal and identify synergies and responses;
• Facilitate strategic dialogue between project staff, the donor, implementing partners at federal, province and local levels, non-governmental organizations, cooperative, private sector and other counterparts.
6) Monitoring, evaluation, reporting, knowledge management and communication of the project
• Prepare key operational reports including an inception, mid-term and final report in addition to six-monthly progress reports, summarizing findings, achievements, conclusions and recommendations on the progress of the project in the country as per the requirements;
• Facilitate the process of monitoring and evaluation of project as per UNDP requirements and procedures;
• Supervise the development of knowledge products (including brochures, briefs, documents on lessons learnt, evaluation reports);
• Facilitate the dissemination of information about the objectives, progress, and achievements of the project;
• Take the lead, coordinate and participate in the organization of conferences, seminars, workshops, training sessions and meetings related to the project;
• Build the project’s reputation in the knowledge networks to draw on and disseminate best practices and lessons learnt with national and international stakeholders;
• Create and foster good working relationships with the media (social media, newspapers and journals, radio, and television);
• Facilitate the process to manage knowledge and contribute to accelerating SDGs implementation on Macro Economic sector including focus on poverty, environment, economic growth, employment etc.
7) Ensure strengthening Gender and Social Inclusion work through project interventions;
• Provide advice and direction on strategic and policy issues to strengthen gender & social inclusion initiatives in the programme plan and implementation strategy;
• Facilitate in creating an environment to address GESI issues;
• Ensure gender and inclusion issues are substantially incorporated in policy notes and briefs where ever possible;
• Liaise with CO Gender Specialist as per the need for effective implementation of the GESI strategy and other guiding tools.
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
• Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Good inter-personal skills;
• Clear and upfront communication skills;
• Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
• Display cultural and gender sensitivity and adaptability;
• Collaborates effectively in a team environment;
• Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
• Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
• Focused on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem solving approach;
• Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members;
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
• Promotes sharing of knowledge and experience, and actively works towards continued learning and development on personal level as well as for supervisees;
• Good practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
• Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of projects;
• Demonstrates strong numerical and analytical skills;
• Has experience working with Monitoring and Evaluation tools;
• Experience in developing business plans for financial institutions including energy enterprises;
• Experience in coordination, technical assistance and advisory support top government and private institutions;
• Experienced in delivering training and other needed capacity/ institutional building support to a wide range of stakeholders including financial institutions;
• Demonstrates excellent organizational and administrative skills;
• Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate;
• Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
• Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
• Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
• Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
• Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
• Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
• Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
• Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration.
Required Skills and Experience
• At least Master’s degree in Economics, sustainable development, project management, business studies, development economics, or another relevant subject.
• A Master’s degree with more than 10 years of work experiences or Ph.D. with at least 5 years in the relevant field;
• At least 7 years of experience in project management with proven track record, Project management, project implementation and policy advocacy experience;
• Experience on macroeconomic policy formulation, national plan formulation and economic planning process is an asset.
• Ability to manage and supervise a team of multidisciplinary professionals;
• Prior experience working with Government of Nepal, United Nations and donors would be an asset;
• Politically astute with demonstrated experience in stakeholder analysis, relationship building, networking and engagement;
• Knowledge and experience working with provincial and local government context, and private sector engagement for sustainable/responsible business is an advantage;
• Good understanding of UNDP rules and procedures or experience of completing UN assignments would be an asset.
• Fluency in oral and written Nepali and English is essential;
• Well versed in computer applications like Word, Excel and Power point and Economic Analysis Tools;
• Good report writing skill is highly preferable.
Last date to apply: 29 April 2020