Organization: UNOPS – United Nations Office for Project Services
Position: Procurement & Logistics Assistant
Job categories: Administration
Vacancy code: VA/2019/B5516/17807
Department/office:AR, NPOH, Nepal
Duty station:Kathmandu, Nepal
Contract type:Local ICA Support
Contract level: LICA-5
Duration:6 months; possibility of extension subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or satisfactory performance
Application period:21-May-2019 to 04-Jun-2019
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Job-specific
The Norwegian Embassy in Nepal has requested UNOPS to assist the Government of Nepal in the reconstruction of earthquake-affected educational facilities. UNOPS proposes to construct 24 new school classroom blocks and toilet blocks in existing damaged schools in the areas of Nepal which have experienced significant destruction and received limited reconstruction help so far. The project is to be implemented from December 2018 to December 2021.
The project includes school selection based on needs and close collaboration with the Government of Nepal’s National Reconstruction Agency and Ministry of Education. The schools selected will be rebuilt to international standards, both from a structural and functional point of view. UNOPS will commit to quality learning spaces which offer all the Government of Nepal-defined Minimum Enabling Conditions (gender inclusion, accessibility, water and sanitation facilities, electricity provision, furniture).
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Project Support Officer, reporting to the Country Director, the incumbent performs and may supervise personnel in delivering, technical services, covering specialized processes and transactions for discrete work areas in engineering site supervision, ensuring efficient, client oriented and effective service delivery. The Associate District Engineer promotes a quality and results-oriented approach, ensuring utilization of office resources in a most cost-effective manner.
1. Administrative Procurement Support Services
Provides a variety of specialized and non-specialized transactional support services, ensuring consistency and quality of work steps completed, as well as optimal information flow:
• Assist in drafting bidding documents, evaluation reports and contract award submissions, ensuring consistency in format and content.
• Process procurement transactions in UNOPS’ corporate system OneUNOPS;
• Assist in the preparation of Purchase Orders, Contracts, LTAs or their Amendments.
• Process invoices for goods and services delivered ensuring accuracy and completeness of documentation and timely payment. Follow up to completion and inform clients.
• Monitor expenditures against allocations.
• Receive, review, log and route incoming communication and procurement requests/invoices.
• Prepare reports, tables, charts etc. applying technical skills and knowledge in formatting and presentations.
• Prepare Statistics and reports, including on Procurement volume.
• Undertake routine follow up action on procurement on behalf of the supervisor;
• Publish procurement advertisements and awards.
• Maintain status reports on procurement activities and work in progress.
2. Client Services
• Actively work with clients to provide and exchange information on a variety of issues in procurement processes and transactions, to deliver correct and timely services.
• Provide standardized procurement services, guidance and information to staff of the Business Unit on routine processes and procedures
3. Ensures provision of reliable logistics and asset management support, namely:
• Proper maintenance and safe and secure storage of all office equipment and property;
• Preparing accurate inventory lists and adequate property records for the office as well as for projects.
• Careful monitoring of the movement of equipment into and within the area of responsibility; Implementation of an equipment management and accounting system for all equipment and properties managed by the office, in accordance with UNOPS equipment policy;
• Processing of supply requisitions for office premises;
• Assistance with timely and effective customs clearance
• Administering the receipt of goods and equipment for the office, inspection and report preparation
4. Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
• Undertake routine follow up action on procurement QA or Knowledge Management issues on behalf of the supervisor and inform supervisor of status.
• Administratively supports the organization and delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on procurement
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Procurement Assistant affect the work completion of the relevant business unit/s, project activities, procurement and contract management support services, impacting the timely and effective implementation of the respective services and deliverable. This ensures client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of the team and Business Unit as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
• Completion of secondary school is required.
• First University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Procurement or equivalent disciplines is desirable.
• Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in procurement support services in national or international public or corporate organizations.
• Experience in working with a range of stakeholders in developing countries.
• Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
• Proficiency in computers and office software packages (MS Office) and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
• Experience in use of Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable
• Full working knowledge of English and Nepali is required
• Knowledge of a second UN or regional working language is an asset.
Last date to apply: 4 June 2019