Position: Driver (Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply)
Job categories: Administration
Vacancy code: VA/2019/B5516/18612
Department/office: AR, NPOH, Nepal
Duty station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Contract type: Local ICA Support
Duration: Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability to funds and/or to satisfactory performance
Application period:28-Sep-2019 to 16-Oct-2019
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
UNOPS offers a variety of arrangements that enable women to excel in their careers, including flexible working hours for work-life balance, maternity leave, childcare facilities, and career coaching. UNOPS ensures a safe and inclusive working environment for women and men through field security training and measures to provide secure working arrangements on-site and in the office.
Drivers are required to carry out the following tasks and duties.
• Drives office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items;
• Meets official personnel at the airport and facilitates immigration and customs formalities as required
• Provides reliable and security driving services by driving vehicles safely in a variety of terrain and road condition of Nepal
• Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle, check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. performs minor repairs and arranges for other repairs
• Ensure that the vehicle is clean and keep in good condition, required to maintain all the record books / log books.
• Logs official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes greasing, etc, and maintain travel log sheets, record books as per UNOPS rules
• Ensure availability of all the required documents up-to date / supplies including vehicle insurance, map of the city/country, First Aid Kit and necessary sphere parts.
• Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident. Further, adhere to the speed limits etc as stipulated by the Nepal Traffic authority and keep up to date knowledge on traffic rules and regulations and follow.
• Abide by UN and local rules and ethics concerning safe driving and security procedures and required to fully adherence to the rules and regulations of UNOPS, UNDSS and other statutory regulation in executing their day-to-day activities.
• Abide by the UNOPS, UNDSS rules and regulations in travelling especially in outstation area.
• Other duties as required
• Secondary school education qualifications are required;
• Valid driver’s license is a must.
• Knowledge of driving rules and regulations; have undergone a basic vehicle maintenance and repair course is an asset
• Skills in minor vehicle repairs and motorcycles is highly desirable
• Minimum of 2 years of regular driving experience; additional years of experience is an asset;
• Experience in driving Trucks/Heavy vehicles is an advantage;
• Driving experience with NGO,INGOs/UN Agencies is an asset.
• Experience of driving in the field in challenging terrain is desirable.
• Basic spoken and written English is preferable.
• Knowledge of local language is required.
Last date to apply: 16 October 2019