Organization: UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund
Position: Census Coordinator,Population and Housing Census of Nepal 2021, Kathmandu, Nepal, P-4
Job ID: 29662
Location: Asia and Pacific
Nepal will be conducting the 12th National Population and Housing Census (NPHC) in June 2021. The Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS), under the National Planning Commission (NPC), will lead planning and management of all census activities, including data collection, data processing, data editing, tabulation plan and final dissemination of the census results.
The Census, being the largest and most significant statistical activity undertaken in the country, will provide the government, international organizations, civil society, the private sector, academia, researchers, and the general public with detailed demographic data for every province, district, local units (municipality and rural municipality), and wards besides ecological zones etc. The provision of this vital information and data is central to the country’s policy development and planning processes. Quality data and indicators are crucial for planning, implementation and monitoring progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) among others.
The 2021 Census is first census to be conducted under the country’s new socio-political and governance structure in line with the new Constitution of Nepal promulgated in 2015. Therefore, the need and demand for data from the census for development planning by the three tiers of federal governance structures (federal, provincial and local) is extensive. High quality data are imperative to capture how well Nepali citizens across the country are enjoying their fundamental human rights to basic services, among others, as enshrined in the Constitution. The role of the government and non-governmental agencies, development partners/donors, political parties, private and cooperative sector, civil society, academia and experts is very important at the federal, province and local level to meet this end.
The CBS is in the midst of preparations for the 2021 NPHC including consultations with a wide range of stakeholders, namely policy makers, planners, development partners, researchers, academics, and other data users at federal, provincial and local levels. The Government of Nepal (GoN) has endorsed the Census Project Document (CPD) that outlines the key strategies and milestones, technological, operational and budgetary requirements for the 2021 NPHC. Accordingly, the GoN has approved the National Population Census Operation and Management Order 2019, which has been published in the National Gazette. Further, the government has approved a dedicated budget line for the Census 2021 under the national budgetary system in due consideration of the importance of the census as per the Order. As a priority programme of the government, CBS has been implementing various preparatory work for the 2021 NPHC from the fiscal year 2018/19. Crucial preparatory activities including questionnaire design and manuals, census mapping, preparation of advocacy, publicity and communications, trainings, and preparations for pilot census in February 2020 are progressing.
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) has been supporting the Government of Nepal in the census preparatory activities with the aim of building national capacities to plan and implement a high quality census in accordance with scientifically established and internationally recognized standards and procedures. Accordingly, UNFPA has prepared technical assistance plan to support CBS in key areas including, census mapping, IT handling, data processing and dissemination, among other technical areas. UNFPA is also supporting advocacy and communications efforts, and resource mobilization, as needed. As the lead agency among External Development Partners (EDP) for census support, UNFPA is recruiting a Census Coordinator, to liaise with CBS on the implementation of the census plan; mobilize technical and financial support, as needed and promote quality assurance throughout all stages of the census operation; and convene and coordinate support provided by EDPs, keeping them appraised of the progress on a regular basis.
The incumbent will work closely with the P&D team and will be supervised by the UNFPA Representative/head of office.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Census Coordinator will support CBS/NPC and UNFPA in providing strategic guidance for the census operations to ensure the highest quality standards are maintained throughout the process. S/he will liaise with CBS on the implementation of the census plan; mobilize technical and financial support, as needed; promote quality assurance in all stages of the census operations; and convene and coordinate support provided by EDPs, keeping them appraised of the progress on a regular basis.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
• Facilitate capacity building interventions to enhance technical skills of national counterparts and transfer of knowledge to CBS through coordinating support for training activities and south-south collaboration;
• Coordinate technical assistance to be provided by specialized expertise in various aspects of census undertaking as needed, especially in the areas of census mapping, new technologies in data capture, data processing, analysis and dissemination;
• Assess and identify emerging technical assistance needs in relation to the census operation and coordinate relevant technical support;
• Advise CBS and UNFPA on the implementation of the census plan considering soundness, feasibility, potential resource availability and cost implications and support national efforts to mobilize funding, as needed;
• Manage donor relations by convening regular meeting with External Development Partners interested in and/or engaged with CBS to support the census operations and promote coherence and synergy in the technical and financial support offered for the census as well as potential links under other projects on data and statistics;
• Assist and support CBS to prepare and conduct conferences, seminars and workshops as well as documentation of activities to promote census participation and inclusiveness throughout the census process;
• Ensure the proper implementation of the census awareness raising and sensitization activities, reaching remote and marginalized groups;
• Support CBS/NPC to institutionalize quality assurance protocols and procedures, and promote objectivity and international compatibility of all concepts, definitions and classifications in all designs including forms, questionnaires, manuals, methodologies as well as modalities of implementation of census activities, availing the adequate reference materials and sources;
• Assist CBS in data processing, data production and publication of preliminary findings, and support the preparation of high quality census reports, as needed;
• Collaborate with the census mapping team on geographic and GIS outputs;
• Monitor programme and challenges; conduct regular field visits to assess census operations; and provide technical feedback to UNFPA and CBS;
• Prepare and deliver periodic reports to UNFPA and concerned donors on the census progress, challenges and risk mitigation measures;
• Undertake any other tasks relevant to the census as required by the UNFPA.
Qualifications and Experience
• Advanced university degree in Demography, Statistics, Social Sciences or equivalent.
Knowledge and Experience:
• A minimum of 7 years of relevant, progressive experience in the field of census and/or statistics.
• Knowledge and experience in population and housing censuses preparation and implementation phases;
• Knowledge and experience of programming for using new technologies, especially with digital census operations, would be an asset;
• Knowledge and experience with census data processing software (CSPro, REDATAM), demographic data analysis, statistical packages (SPSS, Stata) and projection programmes;
• Experience in the dissemination of census data and socio-demographic analyses to broad audiences as well as in motivating the utilization of data and results in development planning and policy issues;
• Experience in providing technical assistance to national counterparts on data quality, analysis, and report writing;
• Communication skills especially for transfer of know-how.
Fluent in English (reading, writing and speaking). Working knowledge of Nepali language is an asset.
• Exemplifying integrity
• Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
• Embracing diversity in all its forms
• Embracing change
• Achieving Results
• Being Accountable
• Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
• Thinking analytically and Strategically
• Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
• Communicating for Impact
• Business acumen
• Implementing management systems
• Innovation and marketing of new approaches
• Client orientation
• Organizational awareness
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, housing allowance, home leave, health insurance and other benefits.