Organization: SAARC Development Fund
Position: Assistant Director, Legal
(a) Job responsibilities:
• Provide inputs/ advice and ensure efficient and effective management of legal system and resources utilization at SDF Secretariat.
• Management of SDF project financing agreement
• Management of legal aspects of SDF funded projects in SAARC Member States.
• Examine the legal aspects of SDF projects and provide necessary inputs and suggestions to CEO and concerned departments’
• Review and provide legal advice to CEO and all concerned department on tender documents, SDF rules, regulations, charter, bye-laws and legal agreements.
• Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
• Provide legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract management.
• Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to staff.
• Review and draft contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements’
• Review progress of ongoing cases and liaise with and manage external lawyers,
• Formulate compliance check-lists to be used for the purpose of ensuring that all information required is provided accordingly’
• Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise CEO and all concerned department accordingly,
• Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for the department for executive management meetings.
• Review all contracts or any other documentation where the Fund has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the CEO’s attention.
• Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
• Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
• Provide legal advice and support in the processing, negotiation and administration of projects under SDF’s operations. This includes review of loan proposals and financing structures (including co-financing with other bilateral or multilateral donors and financiers), preparation of legal agreements, participating in loan due diligence and processing missions, carrying out loan negotiations, review of procurement documents (such as bidding documents and bid evaluations) and handling project administration matters.
• Provides legal opinion and counsel on all investment’s operations in terms of regulatory requirements and legal approvals in order to minimize financial, legal and reputational risks.
• Provide continuous inputs, supervision, training and development of department staff ensuring an effective and motivated team
• Liaise with the HR/Admin department in conducting performance appraisals and ensure competency and training gaps are addressed.
• Liaise with legal consultants, if required, in SAARC Member States.
Report to the CEO and carry out any other responsibilities assigned by him.
(b) Qualification, Skills and experience required:
Interested candidates must
• Have a post graduate degree in Law from an institution of international repute/recognition,
• Qualification to practice law in at least one jurisdiction among SAARC Member States
• Possess a minimum of 10 years of practical experience in a comparable position
(Relevant work experience practicing law in cross-border transactions involving debt and/or equity with a well-recognized law firm and/or an international/regional financial institution and/or development institution will be preferred)
• Have excellent understanding of the developmental needs of the SAARC region and be up to date with latest developments in the social, economic and infrastructure sector in the SAARC region,
• Be between 30-40 years of age (as on January 31, 2020),
• Be a bona fide citizen of a SAARC Member State i.e. Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Maldives, Pakistan and Sri Lanka,
• Strong written and spoken communication skills in English.
• Net (tax free) monthly salary of US$ 2,600 per month,
• Accommodation entitlement up to a maximum rental ceiling of US$ 475 per month,
• Education allowance for two children up to class 12 or equivalent,
• Medical reimbursements for self and family,
• One time furnishing/ settlement allowance of US$ 2,000,
• Home leave passage for self & family once in 18 months and other admissible joining expenses reimbursements,
• Duty free purchase/import privileges in Bhutan.
Last date to apply: January 31, 2020.
Applications for the above position are invited from the Nationals of SAARCMember States (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka) for appointment at the SAARC Development Fund, Thimphu, Bhutan.
HOW TO APPLY
The Terms of Reference (TORs) and prescribed Application Form for the above-mentioned position is available on SDF website www.sdfsec.org. Application Form, CV, copies of educational certificates and experience letters should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com latest by January 31, 2020.
Source: Himalayan Times, 15 January 2020