Organization: Plan International Nepal
Position: ICT Manager
Number of Vacancies: 1
Functional Area : Operations
Reports to : Operations Director
Location : Country Office
Travel required : Yes
Effective Date : 1 July 2020
Grade : D2
Type : Fixed Term Employment for 2 years based in Country Office
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organisation working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation.
Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalised and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls by 2023, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals and in particular the goals on gender equality.
Our organisation is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978, helping marginalised children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal.
In line with Plan International’s global strategy, the Country Strategy’s focus is on the girl child, with a vision of delivering an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women have equal rights and live in freedom by 2030. Our 2023 goal is that girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens.
The position holder is accountable to provide high quality leadership in Information Technology (IT) to best enable Plan International Nepal achieve its strategic ambitions. S/He will help bring the organization to a high level of effectiveness and efficiency by providing IT-related business solutions, delivering on innovative systems, addressing individual and organization-wide IT issues and ensuring that Plan International Nepal remains current on the IT front.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
Number of direct reports: 1
Key stakeholder groups:
• Coordinate with CMT, NMT and Program Team for effective ICT use (H)
• Coordinate with Global ICT team to build effective ICT practice and compliance to internal standards (H)
• Country sponsorship department for efficient use of ICT (M)
• Communicate with Global Helpdesk (M)
• Communicate with Suppliers/vendors regarding ICT supplies and services (M)
• Other technical persons and professional networks(M)
Main challenges of the role
• Adapt to fast changing trend in Information technology.
• Providing quality and stable internet connection at remote location due to poor infrastructure (like Karnali)
• Continue analyzing and developing new technological solutions – with cost saving
ICT strategic plan
• Review and finalise the current strategic plan incorporating the transformational business needs
• Formulate a clear detail action plan for its implementation and monitoring
• Conduct ICT assessment and strategic planning with key stakeholders to understand the business priorities of the organization as well as all departments to recommend the new technology solution
• Understand the business needs to deliver IT solutions in changing context
• Suggest a range of new technology approaches, analyze and determine the needs of IT equipment and make recommendations.
• Liaise with key external IT stakeholders and IT/technology partners/vendors during the assessment process
• Strictly adhere to ICT Policy & procedure and ensure these are implemented and followed at all levels.
Effective implementation /use of IT across Plan International Nepal
• Ensure the right equipment in right number are procured to maximize the use of IT asset to meet the organisation business need.
• Provide prompt and effective IT technical services ,solutions and systems to meet internal requirements ensuring smooth functioning of the networks
• Establish efficient and effective internal infrastructure in all working locations.
• Participate in system/project testing, rollout and certification
• Prepare customized reports from corporate application for planning, monitoring and decision making in terms of business need.
Maintenance, security and disaster recovery plan for ICT equipment
• Ensure regular maintenance, upgrade and security to avoid hardware and software failure
• Ensure regular update and maintenance of Operating System and Microsoft Office patches.
• Ensure Infrastructural upgrade in terms of connectivity, bandwidth & IT infrastructure as per organisational requirement
• Carry out risk assessments in line with audit requirements and organization policy
• Ensure offsite storage of backup media, non-electronic records, and system documentation outside of the office premises.
• Ensure Disaster Recovery plan and Business continuity plan are up to date.
Support to ICT4D projects and programs
• Provide technical guidance to ICT4D projects /programmes at CO and FO level.
• Build technical capacity of ICT4D project staff members by leading both theory and practical training sessions
• Plan and implement program utilizing ICT as a tool for rural community development.
• Evaluate potential projects and technical requirements along with survey of field project locations
• Advise and guide partner organizations (GO, NGO & CBO) on IT related issues
Supervise staff and facilitate capacity development on ICT
• Managing IT staff by recruiting and training employees, communicating job expectations, and monitoring performance.
• Ensures staff capacity building plan on IT are being discussed and designed in close collaboration with Department head.
• Define the team’s performance objectives and review/assess their performance throughout the year, supported by regular one-to-one coaching conversations and feedback and appraisals.
• Stewardship for Plan International’s core policies including global policy on safeguarding children and young people and Gender, is observed.
• Contribute to drafting Job Description’s for any new position/review changes in job profile and support in recruitment process of the team.
• Increase user ICT proficiency through transfer of skills to Plan staff and communities.
Ensure Plan International’s CPP and GEI policies
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
• Master’s Degree in relevant education with 3-4 years’ of demonstrated experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in relevant education with 4-5 years of proven experience in preferably in development sector
• Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification
• Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) certification
• Expert in Microsoft Server, Database administration (SQL Servers) and telecommunication
• Familiarity with GPS technology
• Knowledge of MIS, LAN, WAN (e.g. CISCO), Intranet, Internet, Microsoft Office Suit and latest technology.
• Knowledge of website & Web application development
• Expert in android application development
• Good understanding of ICT4D (ICT for Development) and ICT issues in the development context
• Good knowledge of mobile data collection technology including making questionnaire, uploading data and analysing data
• Hands on experience in training and development and dissemination of knowledge.
• Knowledgeable about ICT vendors/ service providers and hands on experience of working with them
• Knowledgeable about working in disaster management context and relevant humanitarian response required in one’s job area
Leadership Skills and Behaviours demonstrated from experience
• Role model Feminist Leadership Principles
• Represent the organisation at key external and internal events when required.
• Good interpersonal skill, problem solving , handle setbacks and pressure and time management
• Willing to travel at working location and project sites
• Comprehensive understanding of the development sector, its operating and regulatory environment ( in Nepal)
• Comprehensive understanding of the socio/political economic and cultural issues of Nepal.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
• Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
• Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
• Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
• Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
• Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
• Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
• Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
• Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
• Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
• Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
• Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
• Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
• Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
• We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
• We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
• We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
[In this section, state “typical office environment”, or conditions such as “must work outside in an extremely hot and humid climate”. Also note if any protective equipment is required.]
• The position is based in Country Office Kathmandu with travel in field as required.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
• Low contact: No contact or very low frequency of interaction
Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected.
Last date to apply: 5 June 2020