Website Save the Children
Internal Control and Compliance (ICC) Manager
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reached approximately two million populations and invests over 40 million US dollars annually to reach more children than ever before, through programs in Health, Nutrition, Education, Protection and Child Rights and Governance, Livelihood, HIV and AIDS, and Humanitarian crises.
The role holder will be member of Country Internal Control and Compliance (ICC) Team, delivering for CO Project other than GF with high quality, outcomes-focussed internal control and compliance check, investigations and other work assigned to them to meet agreed professional standards and stakeholder expectations, on time and within budget. The role holder will produce high quality, value-adding review reports for CO functions, field offices, implementing partners, Bhutan Office and its partners on sample basis that are clear, concise, timely and solutions-driven.
They will also be expected to maintain strong professional relationships with the team and project staff, ensuring that they keep up to date with changes and events that have a significant impact on the risk profile of actual as well as potential assignments.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Conduct operational, financial and compliance check of Operation departments, Program and Local NGOs other than GF and other vertical project to evaluate the effectiveness of internal controls, risk management system. Determine compliance with policies, procedures, regulations and donor requirements. Make written recommendations to management to increase efficiency and/or effectiveness of the control systems of functions reviewed.
Perform investigations or provide technical support as requested by the management. This position works closely with all levels of employees and PNGOs staff, other auditors, external auditor. S/he expected to spend the 75% of time in field.
- In consultation with Sr. Manager Internal Auditor and Compliance and after risk assessment develop an annual ICC work plan for CO program excluding Global funded projects and other vertical funded large awards where dedicated auditors are on board, using an appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns or compliance issues identified by country office. Work plans will address both special needs as well as prioritize areas based on key risks identified through the risk assessment process.
- Prepare consolidated draft ICC annual plan including departments, local NGOs, field offices and Bhutan office.
- Execute control and compliance check as per Annual Plan. This covers control and compliance check of CO and SR (both NGO and implementation in partnership with government) on sampling basis. Prepare and complete the reporting cycle. Complete assignment on timely.
- Apply relevant risk based audit technique while performing ICC for various units.
- Complete documentation both hard copy and soft copy after each assignment.
- Upload final report to e-library and audit share.
- Ensures that accepted accounting and audit principles and policies are followed and evaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of internal accounting procedures and operating systems and controls and recommends for better systems through conducting periodic audits of auditable units and partners as planned, and prepare draft report.
- All findings major or minor should be evidenced based and ensuring value addition to the department/unit.
- The recommendation should be practical and useful for system strengthening.
- Monitors follow up activity via automated follow up system in OPMIS. Support budget holders to close the system.
- Evaluate policies and procedures and recommend for the improvements, if necessary.
- Evaluate key systems for effective internal checks and procedures for safeguarding Save the Children assets and also identifies and analyses causes of uneconomic and inefficient practices in assigned areas of responsibility. Assesses alternatives, which might yield desired results.
- Conduct review from the lens of zero tolerance policy- safeguarding and fraud, bribery & corruption and report immediately for non-compliance noted.
- Execute compliance check with the donor requirement as per donor agreement as part of ICC review; any variation should be reported and addressed timely.
- Flag up unusual transactions or indication of fraud immediately.
- Review SCI policies and procedure compliance
- Lead or participate in an investigation, if required
- Provide expertise, advisory service to PNGO and CO if required.
- Provide support to other departments as requested.
- Maintain fundamental principles and ethics of auditor such as high level of confidentiality, integrity, objectivity, professional competence and behaviour.
- Provide suggestion to line manager for improvement of internal audit strategy and methodology.
Monthly reporting as part of quality check:
- Monthly tracker sheet – Plan vs Achievement
- Key performance indicator (KPI)
- Audit log sheet
- Question cost and disallow tracker sheet
- OPMIS follow up status sheet
Depending up on the size of CO portfolio and need, currently none
Although this is a position for coverage other than GF and other vertical project with dedicated ICC member, the auditor is expected to work closely with other auditors with in departments, work closely with other departments. Ensure RACI is followed for each audit activity. To widen the knowledge of auditor, the auditor is expected to join other project audit as per audit head guidance.
Provide the support to audit head or other auditors if required.
Lead and Conduct Investigation. Support in preparing investigation team with the right skills as required by the nature of case, lead the team, conduct field work and draft report.
Ensure every single finding – major or minor are evidence based, properly documented and stored.
Ensure confidence is maintained at every level before and after the investigation.
Provide support on capacity building of other staff for investigation.
Qualifications and Experience
- CA/ACCA, (with master’s degree in relevant field preferred) with 7 years (5 years for GSI group*) of work experience including 5 years of relevant experience in audit
- a track record of delivering internal audits, and consistently delivering high quality, timely results
- experience of conducting risk-based reviews of systems and processes, identifying weaknesses and areas of improvements
- be detail-orientated, and is committed to undertaking work in a logical and disciplined manner, in line with the prescribed methodology
- able to cope up with conflicting priorities, on a timely basis
- have strong experience in producing high quality effective written communication e.g. reports, in English
- has strong communication skills and is able to articulate effectively at all levels (in English).
- a real desire to learn, and proactively support Internal Audit Function
- be willing to undertake high amount of travel
- be able to demonstrate standards of ethics and integrity
- Knowledge & understanding on national and internal accounting and auditing standard, national regulations, situation analysis skills, knowledge on partnership, and development sector
Required No.(s): 1(Nepali Citizens only)
Contract length: Fixed Term
Location: Based in the Country Office, Kathmandu with approximately 60% time in field visit
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Closing Date: Nov 19, 2021
Source: Kantipur Dainik, 10 November, 2021