Organization: Social Impact
Position: Team Leader/Evaluation Expert
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors, including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
Social Impact is conducting a midterm performance evaluation of USAID/Nepal’s Knowledge-based Integrated Sustainable Agriculture in Nepal (KISAN II) project, implemented by Winrock International.
Since 2017, Winrock International has implemented the Knowledge-Based Integrated Sustainable Agriculture in Nepal (KISAN) II activity. This activity addresses four areas: (I) Improve the productivity of selected agricultural market systems; (II) strengthen the competitiveness, resilience, and inclusiveness of selected agricultural market systems; (III) strengthen the enabling environment of selected agricultural market systems; (IV) increase ability of vulnerable communities to act on business opportunities within selected market systems; and (V) apply collaboration, learning, and adaptation to market systems development.
The purpose of this midterm performance evaluation is to assess USAID/Nepal’s efforts to strengthen the performance of the selected agriculture market systems against performance indicators and targets. The evaluation will examine efforts to strengthen key market actors’ roles in delivering services in the selected agriculture value chains and also examine the effectiveness on creating an enabling policy environment for private sector engagement in agriculture. The findings from the evaluation will be used to determine whether the activity is on the right track and to generate recommendations for further improvement and adaptation during the remaining years. The evaluation is also expected to contribute to the mission’s ongoing and future activities by generating evidence of good practices. The evaluation will be conducted April through August 2020, with anticipated data collection in program sites over a period of three to four weeks in May and June.
SI is seeking a Team Leader – International (Senior Evaluator) consultant to lead the Mid-Term Performance Evaluation of the KISAN II Activity, make recommendations to improve the activity’s performance in the remainder of the performance period, triangulate information, observe trends and gaps, develop recommendations, and provide lessons learned to USAID/Nepal in designing and managing agriculture market systems.
• Oversee the evaluation and coordinate the team, ensuring team members understand their roles and responsibilities, and assign individual data collection, analysis, and reporting responsibilities.
• Coordinate with SI’s HQ team throughout the evaluation.
• Develop evaluation design to address evaluation questions, including information on data collection and analysis.
• Assume leadership in the preparation, editing and submission of the final report.
• Oversee fieldwork and data collection activities to ensure quality.
• Lead the preparation and presentation of the key evaluation findings and recommendations to USAID.
• Brief the USAID TOCOR weekly on the evaluation progress.
• A master’s degree in agricultural economics, economics, agribusiness or a related social science discipline.
• A minimum of 12 years of experience evaluating and/or managing USAID-funded projects in Nepal or South Asia, with extensive experience in developing agriculture and food security activities.
• Proven track record of engaging constructively and effectively with USG and senior host country counterparts and government officials.
• Familiarity with USAID evaluation policy [USAID Automated Directive System (ADS) Chapter 201].
• In-depth knowledge of the Nepali development context and related issues.
• Strong experience in conducting evaluation or research studies.
• Oral and written fluency in English.
• Demonstrated team management or evaluation team management experience.