Organization: National Democratic Institute for International Affairs
Founded in 1983, the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization working to strengthen and expand democracy worldwide. NDI works with democrats and democratic institutions in every region of the world to build political and civic organizations, safeguard elections and promote citizen participation, openness and accountability in government. Headquartered in Washington, DC, NDI maintains offices in over 70 countries on five continents. Its diverse workforce of employees from 75 countries are united in the belief that democracies promote economic growth and development more consistently and equitably than non-democratic political systems. NDI’s office in Nepal has been operational since 1997 and has since collaborated with the Parliament, political parties, government agencies and civil society.
The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is seeking candidates for the position of Senior Program Officer/Program Officer to support the Institute’s Parliamentary Support Program. The Senior Program Officer/Program Officer position reports directly to the Senior Advisor and Program Specialist. The position is based in Kathmandu, but requires frequent travel to different parts of the country. This position is available immediately.
Position: Senior Program Officer/Program Officer: Parliamentary Program – Nepal
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Location : Kathmandu, Nepal
Academic Qualifications and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, International Development or a related field; Master’s preferred
• Relevant experience, working with political stakeholders/international organizations or working on democracy building, elections, political activism and/or community organizing; minimum of eight (8) years of this experience for the Senior Program Officer, four (4) years for the Program Officer
• Experience with management, development and implementation cycle of programming
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Have access to a network amongst political stakeholders (without being politically affiliated to any of them), women’s organizations, media and/or civil society organizations
• Comfortable in a multicultural, diverse and gender-friendly workplace
• High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all staff members and political party representatives
• Basic managerial skills; flexible and adaptable at work, when required
• Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
• Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications and experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, etc.);
• Ability and willingness to travel to remote areas when required
• Demonstrated ability to quickly gather, understand, analyze and contextualize relevant developments in Nepal’s political environment and report on those to supervisors
• Good English and Nepali speaking, writing and translation skills are essential
• Experience with organizing events; able to quickly tackle logistic and administrative challenges; working in a structured and organized manner
Additionally, a Senior Program Officer will:
• Proven ability and networks to interact with senior leaders from political parties, civil society and the bureaucracy
• Have experience with trainings/presentations, and solid public speaking skills
• Have strong critical thinking and strategic planning skills; able to actively conceptualize, interpret, apply, analyze and evaluate information to reach conclusions or form opinions
• In consultation with the Senior Advisor and the Program Specialist, oversee overall development of program activities including, being involved in or informed about all progress related to the legislative process and works of parliamentary committees
• Build a functional network of significant contacts with political leaders, especially with parliamentary leaders, including women and youth members of federal parliament (MPs) and the Parliament Secretariat.
• Stay up to date on the parliamentary and political news and dynamics to assess how various developments might affect program strategy, approach and implementation
• Conduct/facilitate trainings, workshops, and conference and assist in developing training/workshop materials and manuals for programs
• Travel to the districts to monitor and evaluate program activities; and to accompany MPs and parliamentary committee members during field visits
• Prepare program budgets and keep track of expense spending
• Make sure program outputs are completed effectively, and on time by team members; assign and monitor program tasks and outputs by other parliamentary program team members
• Review, edit and coordinate submission of internal and external program reports (weekly, quarterly reports, and success stories)
• Prepare program briefings by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information
• Collaborate with program, monitoring and evaluation, and administrative teams and managers in development of NDI-Nepal annual work plan, budget and performance monitoring plan (PMP), as well as general program activity implementation
• Perform other assignments as and when necessary assigned by senior staff
Last date to apply: July 7, 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
The application deadline is July 7, 2019. To apply, please e-mail a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please write “Senior Program Officer” or “Program Officer” for Parliamentary Program in the subject line while applying for this position.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please!
Applicants need to possess appropriate work authorization to work in Nepal at the time of application.
NDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.