Internal/External Vacancy Notice: ICT Associate, GS6, Temporary Appointment ( 364 days), Kathmandu, Nepal (Open to Nepalese Nationals Only)
Job no: 552690
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
Duty Station: Kathmandu
Categories: Information Communication Technology
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, result
The ICT Associate reports to the ICT officer. UNICEF Nepal has around 300+ staff member/consultants based in Kathmandu country office and three zonal offices outside Kathmandu valley. ICT unit manages Shared Services Center using Microsoft Platform in UN House, Lalitpur and manages three LIGHT enabled zone offices. The incumbent is responsible for implementing and maintaining the ICT infrastructure, administration, and business support to ICT operations in close coordination with different programme sectors, service-providers and partners from inside and outside the organization. ICT Associate is also responsible for technical oversight of innovation group on programme projects along with ICT officer.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
Under the direct supervision of ICT Officer on daily work and technical oversight of Innovation team on programme projects, the ICT Associate assists Country Office with the identification, assessment and implementation of ICT integration into UNICEF programmatic support which includes but not limited to internal capacity, Technology for Development related projects, engaging with key partners, preliminary identifying potential technology available in the market locally to maximize the scaling up and roll out of programmatic initiatives/activities
1. Timely and effective support is provided on improvement of ICT systems/services and opportunities for innovative use of technology in programme interventions are effectively harnessed.
- Actively participates in programme discussions to leverage his/her technical skill to identify opportunities for innovative use of technology in programme initiatives
- Works closely with the Operations and programme colleagues, relevant vendors and partners in formulation of technical opportunity into innovative product for children
- Provides support to Programmes in any ICT related issues, contracts involving ICT or systems and solutions, including review of ToRs and specifications, technical evaluations, applications, offers etc. and advising on any partnerships for ICT-enabled solutions for children
- Supports project roll outs and implementation of new processes, including testing debugging and implementation of new application and systems.
- Collaborates with program and communication sections to identify and support improvement opportunities in programme delivery through the effective/innovative use of technology, ensuring that the functional requirements are fully met by the proposed solution. Advise on options, risks, costs versus benefits, and impacts on end-user products and services, business processes and systems.
- Assists in formulation of Business Cases and Project Charters for the ICT4D and Innovation projects
2. Timely Guidelines and Strategy Implementation of and operational support UNICEF Cyber / Information Security program
- Implementation of T4D strategies, including support assessment of T4D gaps, opportunities, standards and guidelines
- Engage ICT officer and liaise closely with Innovation group on implementation of potential strategies with local adjustment
3. Timely support and technical assistance provided to clients in the area of Technology for Development and work with stakeholders to on standards, procedures and partnerships for T4D projects to be adopted
- Work with colleagues in Programmes as well as all partners, internally and externally, to identify and package the T4D solutions suite for use in a wide array of programme applications.
- Ensures effective customer support in the area of Technology for Development by identifying the need and providing training as well as troubleshooting and ad- hoc technical assistance to the users. This involves development of an office training and support plan based upon the organizational requirements and an assessment of staff competencies and needs.
- Analyses problems, identifies alternatives, tests, recommends and implement solutions
- Work closely with ICT officer and Innovation team to resolved technical incidents and problem from their roots, while applying quick workarounds to avoid work disruptions
4. Research and knowledge management in the area of Technology for Development
- Collect data, undertake analysis and prepare reports on existing initiatives and solutions.
- Capture lessons learnt and best practices from various Programmes, document and share resources available
5. Under the framework of Digital Transformation initiative, all component of the Enterprise Content Management are adequately/efficiently supported.
- Provides Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and knowledge management support (e.g. SharePoint, CO Intranet and Team web sites) through coordination of office contents/records management including systems for the acquisition, storage and retrieval of electronic data
- Manages the local database capacity required using standard ICT database and collaboration tools.
- Provides support to ensure the accuracy and accessibility of data sources.
- Provides technical assistance and guidance to relevant sections in provision of externally facing websites, contents and security.
- Provides assistance in the use of social media outreach.
6. Provide help, support and assist with capacity building and knowledge management:
- Provide technical and operational support to end-users
- Manage escalated ICT incidents or problems to GSSC/ICTD
- Distribute ICT-related communication materials from NYHQ, GSSC or regional office
- Prepare and circulate internal ICT-related communications –emails, manuals, newsletters, flyers, best practices, FAQs
- Support opportunities to improve productively, efficiency, effectiveness and foster innovation
- Provision of advice on and assistance in procurement of new equipment for the CO, provision of technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets, technical review of quotations and bids Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of the office’s software and hardware.
- Monitor the quality of Enterprise Content Management (ECM) system and coordinate with the relevant colleagues in the Organization to resolve issues
7. Assignments of additional duties and responsibilities are effectively performed
- Performs any additional assignments as requested by the supervisor
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of Secondary education is required, supplemented with formal training in computer science, Information Systems, Engineering or additional training in networking & telecommunication technology and some industry-wide vendor certification.
- Computer related certification in A+, ITIL Foundation Certification or equivalent customer support certification is an asset.
- A minimum of six years of practical work experience in information technology, requiring systematic methods of troubleshooting and analytical problem solving is required.
- Experience required in providing assistance to users on ICT products and services and use of applications and diagnostic tools.
- Practical experience and working knowledge of various computer platforms and applications: Realtime information system like RapidPro, Ona, MS PowerBI etc, database systems, Microsoft Office product suites, Help Desk software, advanced PC/laptop/printer installation, configuration, troubleshooting and repairs.
Work experience in providing remote ICT support an asset
Fluency in English and Nepali language is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
Works Collaboratively with others (1)
Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Female candidates and candidates from under-represented ethnic groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Deadline: 25 Jul 2022 Nepal Standard Time