Growth and Innovation Manager (Governance Lab)
Sanepa Heights Rd, Lalitpur 44600, Nepal
NEPAL aspires to graduate from least developing country to a lower middle-income country by 2030. However, the development community’s excessive focus today on socio-political empowerment has not yielded the desired economic transformation. In reaching the 2030 national target, shall we wait for institutions of power to become accountably productive or shall we bolster innovations of people to bring inclusive prosperity? And, shall we strengthen grassroots-government collaboration in shaping an equal and enterprising future?
DAAYITWA ABHIYAAN strives for an enterprising Nepal where every individual has opportunities for a prosperous future. Focused on promoting economic empowerment, we aim to nurture an enterprising mindset – which is about working hard, taking risks, and being creative – in development change-agents. Driven by principles of economic justice, community engagement and financial sustainability, the Abhiyaan comprises four organizations.
- Daayitwa – an NGO that promotes domestic youth employment by accelerating rural youth entrepreneurs to create jobs and supporting the government to implement evidence-based enterprise development policies.
- Nepal Leadership Academy – a non-profit company that develops an enterprising mindset in change-agents by growing their leadership and management capabilities.
- Governance Lab – a for-profit research firm that enables the government and the private sector to make decisions by conducting evidence-based research and connecting researchers and decision-makers.
- Daayitwa-US – a US-based non-profit that engages and empowers Nepali diaspora in the US as change agents and strengthens local and global collaboration to promote socio-economic development in Nepal.
The GOVERNANCE LAB (GovLab) at the Daayitwa Abhiyaan supports the government to make evidence-based policy decisions by conducting policy research and by creating a networking platform for researchers and policy makers. GovLab plans to bring together experienced international and national researchers, policy makers and other development partners to design and conduct policy research. The current organizational focus is on women’s economic empowerment, youth employment, access to investment, value chain and governance reform. We have conducted research on various topics such as MSE growth, dignity of labor and COVID19-related financial and health issues in order to support federal and provincial governments to make evidence-based policy decisions. At Daayitwa Abhiyaan, we are determined to continue accelerating business, policy and civic entrepreneurs to promote employment, entrepreneurship and economic growth, while shaping a campaign that nurtures an enterprising mindset in the nation.
You, as the Growth and Innovations Manager (GIM), will work with the Chairperson and be responsible for achieving all the day-to-day operational and long-term strategic goals, managing partnerships with collaborators, donors, private and government agencies. You will continuously strive to grow our footprint and accelerate results. The GIM, reporting to the GovLab Board, will function independently with broad guidance from the Board. The GIM will continuously strive to grow GovLab’s impact by accelerating results, exploring innovative processes and building new partnerships. The role of the GIM will include but are not limited to the following tasks:
Bolster business growth
- Manage the strategic direction of the Governance Lab in keeping with the policies and guidelines set forth by the Board
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with local, national and international stakeholders (e.g. government, universities, think tanks and international development partners)
- Spearhead events and activities to build organizational profile
- Define resource needs, develop annual budget plan, and manage funds efficiently
- Coordinate with communications team to ensure strategic outreach to the Board, partners, and the target groups
- Coordinate resource generation efforts, including writing partnership proposals and creating new income streams
Strengthen process innovation
- Support the Chairperson in liaising with the Board on a continued basis to receive overall guidance and seek specific support for growth
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of organizational objectives and project activities
- Foster a productive environment for team members to learn, grow and create meaningful impact
- Refine the project management system, including action planning and reviewing, for enhancing quality of project deliverables and achieving organization’s strategic targets
- Ensure staff concerns are addressed properly, efficiently and judiciously
- Design and manage professional growth activities for team members
- Plan and organize activities to increase collaboration within the organization
- Liaise with other Daayitwa Abhiyaan entities, including Nepal Leadership Academy, Governance Lab, and Nepal Rising
- Assume roles in new tasks and projects and support key Daayitwa programs
Spearhead knowledge management
- Ensure organizational knowledge, networks and intellectual property are preserved and safeguarded
- Ensure that the right knowledge goes to the right people, and that this information is promptly applied to business activities
- Provide relevant coaching, training and support to champion an organizational culture of knowledge sharing
- Spearhead internal and external learning activities, including but not limited to dialogues, seminars, policy brief dissemination and op-ed writing, at sub-national, national and international levels.
- Masters degree in business administration, public administration, social development, economics or other related field
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience with at least 3 years of experience in senior management position, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Impeccable managerial and interpersonal skills, with proven record of effectively interacting with senior management
- Recognized expertise in rural development, community engagement, government collaboration and private sector development
- Independence in working on complex problems in the field of specialization consistently applying creativity and independent judgment
- Experience working in an institution focusing on international development and/or dealing with government officials.
- Excellent client orientation, diplomatic skills, and drive for results are essential
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams under pressure in a diverse, uncertain environment.
- Experience of having led start-up teams will be a plus point.
- Strong motivation and organizational/time management skills.
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks at a time within deadlines.
- Growth mindset – exceptional willingness to take risks and work hard.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in Nepali and English
Compensation: GovLab will provide compensation to the GIM on a monthly rate basis. The rate will be mutually agreed upon, commensurate with the level of the required deliverables, the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
Apply Before: July 31st, 2022
How to Apply: If you are interested in this position, please email contact[@]govlab.com.np. In the subject line, put “Growth and Innovations Manager” followed by your first and last name (e.g., “XXX – Jane Doe) and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter (one page max) including salary expectations
- CV (two pages max)
- Academic transcripts from all degrees received
- A writing sample
**Only shortlisted candidates will be notified**