Company: BBC Media Action
Established in 1998, BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. BBC Media Action uses media and communications to help reduce poverty and support people in claiming their rights, our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world. We do this through our focus on health, governance and rights, resilience, and humanitarian response, partnering with civil society, local media and governments to:
• produce creative programmes in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences
• strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action has been implementing communication for development projects in Nepal since 2007, giving us a well-developed understanding of Nepali audiences and significant experience of producing and evaluating media content on a range of issues to diverse target audiences. Our work in Nepal focuses on health, governance, resilience, humanitarian preparedness and response with strong gender commitments and focus.
Position: Finance Officer
Reports To: Finance Manager, Nepal
Based: Kathmandu with possible travel to field locations
Duration: 6 months (with the possibility of extension subject to funding)
BBC Media Action Nepal is seeking potential applicants for the position of Finance Officer.
“The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children and adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.”
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Finance Manager, Finance Officer is required to provide support to BBC Media Action Programs in Nepal, through dealing with day to day financial issues pertaining to general program areas. The Finance Officer will support the Finance Manager in the management and oversight of all financial functions of BBC Media Action Nepal in compliance with BBC Media Action controls, donor compliance, legal and statutory compliance for BBC Media Action’s work in Nepal. S/he will be the main point of contact for ensuring day to day financial transactions of the office are correct and will support programme teams and partners operational financial matters. She/he will also support the CD and the FM to ensure that all BBC Media Action financial transactions are value for money.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintain and ensure that the overall financial transactions in the office are undertaken in accordance with BBC policies and procedures and its accounting standards; especially ensure necessary supporting documents is maintained.
• Check payment requests against authorization, completeness, accuracy, coding, originality and compliance with BBC, Donors, Government and other relevant requirements.
• Assist the Finance Manager to prepare and forward monthly financial reports including the bank reconciliation to UK office
• Ensure that petty cash procedures are strictly followed and well managed.
• Ensure there is adequate petty cash and advance money in the safe to ensure timely payments and advances to the personnel going to the field.
• Assist the Finance Manager in submission of financial reports to donors and the development of budgets.
• Visits to partner organizations and ensuring their documentation and filing system is in place and order and reviewing their reports against the vouchers and supporting documents.
• Timely payment of employees’ Provident Funds, Citizen Investment Trust/Provident Fund and taxes.
• Prepare the tax deduction list as per the government rules and deposit it in tax office every month ensuring no fail in deposit of withheld TDS within the allotted timeframe and provide the tax vouchers to concern person or suppliers.
• Initiate the process with Inland Revenue Office to obtain the staff individual Tax clearance Certificate.
• Ensure all payment documents/vouchers are properly filed, numbered and located safely with correct labelling.
• Regular follow up with vendors to ensure the vendors collect their payments on time and obtaining receipt acknowledgement after payments to suppliers and partners also on all the bank to bank transfers.
• Ensure any differences or discrepancies are brought to the attention of the FM, and proactively follow- up on appropriate action is taken
• Post entries to the accounting software timely ensuring correct Project and Donor codes as per the budget availability and BBC Chart of Accounts.
• Follow and ensure that working and staff advances are settled timely.
• Check spending against effective use of resources that mainly apply best value for money principles.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
• Completion of Maters Degree in accounting, business studies, management or in ongoing final year/papers of CA or ACCA.
• At least 3-4 years of relevant experience in finance/administration functions.
• Experience with donor funded projects will be an added advantage.
• Demonstrated experience in preparation of finance reports and budget variance analysis.
• Comprehensive knowledge in working on Excel spreadsheet.
• Experience in the usage of computers, emails, internet and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
• Strong communication skills including the ability to write well in English and Nepali.
• Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, confidentiality concerning financial transactions and employee files;
• Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; Shares knowledge and experience;
• Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
• Ability to work in demanding situations and sometimes under pressure and in an organised systematic manners
• Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks, for problem solving and/or development.
• Strategic Thinking: Can identify a vision along with the plans that need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
• Decision Making: Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
• Influencing and Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
• Planning and Organising: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities considering all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
• Managing Relationships: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Team working.
• Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
• Problem Solving: Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for decision making and problem-solving. Transforms proposals/ideas into practical reality.
• Flexibility: Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Can understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
• Resilience: Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
• Leadership: Ability to create a vision and inspire others to realize it.
• Self-Development: able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development
Last date to apply: 15th July 2020
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a CV and Covering Letter outlining your interest in the role, and demonstrating how you fulfil the essential skills and experience, by 15th July 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org (with job title in the subject line).