Finance and Operations Coordinator (Daayitwa)
Sanepa Heights Rd, Lalitpur 44600, Nepal
The Why: NEPAL aspires to graduate from least developing country to a lower middle-income country by 2030. However, the development community’s excessive focus today on socio-political empowerment has not yielded the desired economic transformation. In reaching the 2030 national target, shall we wait for institutions of power to become accountably productive or shall we bolster innovations of people to bring inclusive prosperity? And, shall we strengthen grassroots-government collaboration in shaping an equal and enterprising future?
The How: DAAYITWA ABHIYAAN strives for an enterprising Nepal where every individual has opportunities for a prosperous future. Focused on promoting economic empowerment, we aim to nurture an enterprising mindset – which is about working hard, taking risks, and being creative – in development change-agents. Driven by principles of social justice, community empowerment and impact sustainability, the Abhiyaan comprises four organizations.
- Daayitwa – an NGO that promotes domestic youth employment by accelerating rural youth entrepreneurs to create jobs and supporting the government to implement evidence-based enterprise development policies
- Nepal Leadership Academy – a non-profit company that develops an enterprising mindset in change-agents by growing their leadership and management capabilities.
- Governance Lab – a for-profit research firm that enables the government and the private sector to make decisions by conducting evidence-based research and connecting researchers and decision-makers
- Daayitwa-US – a US-based non-profit that engages and empowers Nepali diaspora in the US as change agents and strengthens local and global collaboration to promote socio-economic development in Nepal
In the last 9 years, we have accelerated 85 rural youth entrepreneurs (45 women) in 3 provinces (Bagmati, Gandaki and Lumbini Province) to embrace innovation, access investment, grow income and create employment. Leveraging the grassroots learning, we have supported 141 youth trained in 30 countries around the world to support 51 government organizations and 24 parliamentarians with entrepreneurship and employment policy research. We have conducted more than 60 leadership courses for over 700 participants to build their capacity to lead teams and architect innovative solutions. We have conducted research on various topics such as MSE growth, dignity of labor and COVID19-related financial and health issues in order to support federal and provincial governments to make evidence-based policy decisions. We have organized Nepali diaspora and friends of Nepal to financially support more than 100 NGOs to grow their social impact. At Daayitwa Abhiyaan, we are determined to continue accelerating business, policy and civic entrepreneurs to promote employment, entrepreneurship and economic growth, while shaping a campaign that nurtures an enterprising mindset in the nation.
The What: YOU, as the Finance and Operations Coordinator, will be responsible for ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization’s financial and operations functions of Daayitwa. Reporting to the Executive Chairperson, working closely with the management team and interacting with the Board of Directors, the position will develop and strengthen the organization’s institutional capacity to deliver results. The specific responsibilities include the following:
1) Strengthen finance and accounting system
- Assess the financial situation of projects by gathering information regarding asset allocation, savings, tax planning, and evaluating risk tolerance.
- Develop financial strategies, establish financial goals, and devise appropriate financial plans.
- Provide financial plans and options to the project manager; explaining advantages and risks; providing explanations; alleviating concerns; answering questions.
- Monitor financial situation of ongoing projects by tracking changes in expenditures, analyzing financial plan results, identifying and evaluating new financial strategies as well as recommending changes in goals and plans.
- Generate financial management information by preparing financial status analyses and reports and discuss with the management team
- Set up and implement financial management system, including strategies, budgetary action plans and regular financial forecasts and reports
- Implement internal controls to ensure costs are within budgetary levels and organizational assets are protected
- Support the program teams in preparing project proposals and creating impact reports for development partners
- Support development and implementation of the organization’s governance policies in collaboration with the Executive Chairperson and program teams
- Provide feedback to the Executive Chairperson and program teams on the strategic direction and operational effectiveness of overall organization and individual programs
- Set up and maintain a petty cash system.
- Review all accounts payable, including payroll as well as signing and delivery of checks.
- Liaise with banks and make monthly reconciliation of bank statement
2) Strengthen operations system
- Coordinate administrative functions, including human resource, payroll, and procurement
- Oversee office functioning and supervise support staff.
- Facilitate coordination and communication between support functions such as IT and knowledge management.
- Maintain office inventory and updated asset lists and provide guidance for field offices to do the same
- Negotiate, finalize, award and administer purchase orders and contracts issued to vendors for procurement of goods and services
- Provide operational support in organizing public events
- Provide administrative support such as procurement, annual maintenance contract and records management systems etc.
3) Strengthen legal system
- Liaise with auditors, tax agents, banks, lawyers and statutory bodies to maintain legal standing of Daayitwa
- Maintain liaison with government departments, inclusive of the Social Welfare Council, Social Security Department, and Tax Department, to ensure compliance with their requirements.
- Register all employees with appropriate government agencies and ensure that proper income taxes and social charges are withheld.
- Masters in finance, accounting, business administration or other related fields
- Minimum of 4-5 years of relevant professional experience
- Expertise in financial management and accounting, including creating financial statements, using accounting software and following the government tax policies
- Strong numerical and analytical skills, including drive for paying meticulous attention to details in reports and presentations
- Undeterred passion for innovating, collaborating and serving Nepal
- Basic understanding of development issues related to economic development in Nepal
- Independence in working on complex problems and ability to apply creative judgment
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in a diverse, team-oriented environment
- Strong motivation, self-starter nature and organizational/time management skills
- Experience working in an institution that focuses on international development and/or works directly with government officials and development partners
- Excellent client orientation, diplomatic skills, and drive for results are essential
- Proficiency in computer usage, particularly in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Nepali
Apply Before: April 30, 2022
Daayitwa will provide compensation to the Finance and Operations Coordinator on a monthly basis. The rate will be mutually agreed upon, in tune with the level of the required deliverables, the qualifications and experience of the candidate.