Website UN Volunteers
Position: Field Support Officer
Host Entity: UNDP
Duty Station: Nepalgunj (NPL)
Language Skills: English, Nepalese
Start Date: 01 June 2021
Duration: until 31 December 2021 with possibility of extension
Application Deadline: 10 May 2021
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Technical Expert-Urban Waste Management, or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Field Support Officer will:
- Support for the implementation of comprehensive plans for green recovery and sustainable urbanization developed as part of the project
- Support the implementation of the healthcare waste management component of the project in Karnali Provincial Hospital in Birendranagar including during the needs assessment and the training activities.
- Support for the orientation and training of municipality officials and other stakeholders on inclusive, gender-responsive urban resilience and green recovery including urban waste management
- Support local governments to conduct policy dialogues with private sector actors/ cooperatives/ women’s groups/CSOs/ development partners on sustainable urban waste management practices to manage recyclable waste (paper, plastic, glass, metal, etc.)
- Support to establish waste collection systems, collection and segregation centers, and landfill sites in each municipality that provide opportunities for women and men
- Support for effective Household level waste segregation and composting system established and operationalized in each municipality
- Contribute to provide training and awareness-raising in municipalities and community groups on urban waste management, composting and management of natural resources, ensuring effective gender parity in participation
- Contribute for establishing the provision of advocacy, information sharing and communication support on COVID- 19 to the poor and vulnerable groups for successful implementation of the project deliverables
- Support to organize workshop and conference among relevant stakeholders for sharing of the outcomes and progress and sensitization, to promote more relevant stakeholders to better understanding of Health Care Waste Management system.
- Contribute for publicity and communication through dissemination of various promotional and visibility materials like pen, clocks, calendar, t-shirts, media press releases, posters during campaigns.
- Map key stakeholders and their respective roles and responsibilities in advancing urban resilience and green recovery including urban waste management
- Support for the monitoring of implementation of the project in the fields
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Master’s degree in a relevant area, e.g. urban waste management or area related to urban development and green recovery;
Required experience: 36 Months
Required Experience: 3 years
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Nepalese(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Community participation and development
Area of expertise details:
At least 3 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in urban waste management, health
care waste management, livelihood and recovery, environmental management, or other relevant programmes; experience with
agriculture is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
Ability to handle conflicting situation and multitask with least supervision. Knowledge of Do No Harm will be an asset.
Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of
partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels;
familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural
team of international and national personnel;
Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet;
familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
Desirable: valid national driver’s license and proven ability to drive manual gear 4×4 over rough terrain;
Sound security awareness;
Have affinity with or interest in community development,
Driving license: Yes
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of (the Programme Country) and legal residents in (the Programme Country or territory) with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 10-05-2021.