Website Habitat for Humanity International Nepal
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal’s vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Habitat for Humanity operates as part of an international network with a common objective of reducing poverty and eliminating substandard housing and homelessness from the world. Habitat for Humanity International Nepal holds the subcontractor status of DAI’s Tayar Nepal project to recruit and mobilize human resources in field offices and eight partner municipalities. The position will be hired by and contracted under Habitat for Humanity International Nepal and work full-time with Tayar Nepal Team.
Tayar Nepal – Improved Disaster Risk Management Project is a USAID Nepal funded project, implemented by DAI. Tayar Nepal is strengthening the capacity of Nepal’s national and municipal institutions responsible for disaster preparedness and response. Tayar Nepal will build the capacity of national and local level systems. Tayar Nepal supports eight municipalities to develop risk-sensitive land use plans and implementation of technical assistance packages to improve disaster preparedness and resilience of the communities. In the event of a disaster over the five-year life of Tayar Nepal, USAID/Nepal may engage the project’s rapid emergency response mechanism. Tayar Nepal works closely with the Government of Nepal and municipalities with the support of its sub-contractors and resource partners to implement activities.
No. of vacancies: 1 (One)
Duration: Through July 31, 2022 (with possible 2-year extension)
Reports to: Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Specialist
Field Visits: Frequent travel to field areas
Location: Tayar Nepal’s Kathmandu Office
Core Function of the position:
The Engineer will lead and oversee feasibility studies, site selection, detailed design, implementation, technical supervision and monitoring of disaster risk reduction and mitigation-related construction work under Tayar Nepal.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take lead in feasibility studies, site selection, detailed design and implementation of disaster risk reduction and mitigation related construction work under Tayar Nepal in coordination with Tayar Nepal’s Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Specialist, field officers and field engineers.
- Provide robust technical inputs to Tayar Nepal team on DRRM related construction work.
- Undertake technical lead role of construction and engineering work for disaster risk reduction and mitigation for landslide, flood, fire earthquake and other disaster.
- Ensure environmental and social safeguards and compliance of construction related projects, including ensuring no use of child labor.
- Supervise, coach and provide technical inputs to Tayar Nepal’s field engineers on DRRM related construction work.
- Guide field engineers to collect/ primary data in the field (field surveys, field investigations, household surveys etc.) and secondary data from the municipalities and relevant authorities in the municipality/province.
- Lead and support Tayar Technical Team to develop detailed scopes of work related to construction and engineering (in coordination with Field Team) for Tayar assistance package that will include appropriate staffing, budget, workplan, and vendor requirements.
- Oversee implementation of TA packages related to construction and engineering and ensure quality control and reporting in coordination with the MEL manager.
- Support Tayar’s twining municipalities and provide technical/advisory support as and when needed in construction and engineering work.
- Support Tayar Grantees, sub-contractor and partners to undertake their municipal level activities related to construction and engineering.
- Other duties requested by DRRM Specialist.
Reporting, Coordination and Location
- The Engineer is hired under Habitat for Humanity International Nepal, reports to Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Specialist of Tayar Nepal.
- The Engineer works closely with the DRRM Specialist, Urban Planning Manager, Field Engineers, Field Officers to ensure smooth and effective implementation of Tayar’s activities in the municipality.
- The position is based in Tayar Nepal’s Kathmandu Office and requires frequent field visit to Tayar Nepal’s working areas.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Results-driven with good interpersonal skills, both speaking and writing skills in English and Nepali Language.
- Able to work effectively in cross-cultural settings; can support, negotiate, and cooperate with those of other cultures and genders.
- Proven ability to proactively manage workloads and multiple priorities efficiently and with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) and SAP, Auto CADD and other relevant software skills.
Education Qualification, Professional Experience:
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and master’s in construction management/Infrastructure Construction and Management.
- At least 12 years of relevant field experience required in engineering field surveys, quantity surveys, estimation, infrastructure design, construction supervision and other engineering related works specifically in the disaster mitigation activities for flood, landslides, earthquake and other critical infrastructures.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively with municipalities, local communities, vulnerable and most vulnerable groups, civil society and other stakeholders.
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal is an equal opportunity organization. Women, persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantage communities, and local candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps in recruitment. However, habitat for Humanity International Nepal reserves the right to accept or reject any applications without assigning any reasons whatsoever.
Source: Annapurna Post, 29th November, 2021