Communications Intern (Governance Lab)
Sanepa Heights Rd, Lalitpur 44600, Nepal
NEPAL aspires to graduate from the least developing country to a lower-middle-income country by 2030. However, the development community’s excessive focus today on socio-political empowerment has not yielded the desired economic transformation. In reaching the 2030 national target, shall we wait for institutions of power to become accountably productive or shall we bolster innovations of people to bring inclusive prosperity? And, shall we strengthen grassroots-government collaboration in shaping an equal and enterprising future?
DAAYITWA ABHIYAAN strives for an enterprising Nepal where every individual has opportunities for a prosperous future. Focused on promoting economic empowerment, we aim to nurture an enterprising mindset – which is about working hard, taking risks, and being creative – in development change agents. Driven by principles of economic justice, community engagement and financial sustainability, the Abhiyaan comprises four organizations.
- Daayitwa – an NGO that promotes domestic youth employment by accelerating rural youth entrepreneurs to create jobs and supporting the government to implement evidence-based enterprise development policies.
- Nepal Leadership Academy – a non-profit company that develops an enterprising mindset in change agents by growing their leadership and management capabilities.
- Governance Lab – a for-profit research firm that enables the government and the private sector to make decisions by conducting evidence-based research and connecting researchers and decision-makers.
- Daayitwa-US – a US-based non-profit that engages and empowers Nepali diaspora in the US as change agents and strengthens local and global collaboration to promote socio-economic development in Nepal.
Governance Lab (GovLab) at the Daayitwa Abhiyaan brings together policy-making researchers, leaders and entrepreneurs to exchange ideas and advocate for evidence-based policymaking to achieve sustainable development in Nepal. It has conducted research on various topics such as MSE growth, dignity of labor and COVID-19 related financial and health issues in order to support federal and provincial governments to make evidence-based policy decisions over the years. As a part of Purnima, a DFID-funded project, Governance Lab and Daayitwa have collaboratively conducted a market study geared towards developing contextualized solutions to the challenges of women-led MSEs and bridging the gap between women enterprises and BFIs and markets through capacity building. GovLab, in collaboration with Yale Economic Growth Center and with financial support from FCDO, has been conducting a 5-year research on ‘Political Economy of Inclusive Growth in Nepal’. Similarly, GovLab, in partnership with Daayitwa, has been supporting the Government of Nepal at the federal, provincial, and municipal levels to conduct policy analysis and support policy entrepreneurs in promoting evidence-based policy decisions. We have conducted policy research that aligns with government priorities in areas of youth employment, women’s economic empowerment, access to investment, entrepreneurship ecosystem, and governance reform. Some of our highlighted research work include ‘Insights from Nepal on UN High-Level Panel’s 7 Drivers of Change for Women’s Economic Empowerment’ (in partnership with Ministry of Women, Children and Senior Citizens) and ‘Evaluation of Microenterprise Graduation in Lumbini and Madhesh Provinces’ (in partnership with Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Supplies).
YOU as the Communications Intern, will assist the Communications and Outreach Manager to provide results-oriented, strategy-driven management of marketing, communication, and public relations activities of the Governance Lab.
With supervision from the Communications and Outreach Manager, you will assist in two key functions – developing communications materials and strengthening strategic outreach.
1. Developing communications materials
1. Assist to create and share stories of impact at local, national and international levels
2. Work closely with the Comms team to execute social media campaigns on a variety of web-based platforms
3. Assist to strengthen branding through creative interventions, including op-eds, videos, and social media, and consistent use of naming conventions, brand attributes and logos
4. Help write, update, and edit production and design of print materials
5. Contribute to develop graphics design, photography, and other multimedia development and maintain digital media library of multimedia materials for future use
6. Support in managing websites, including maintaining the integrity of website content and structure, evaluating report on key web-metrics and utilizing Search Engine Optimization
2. Strengthening strategic outreach
1. Provide support to manage and execute email communications, including regular e-newsletters, campaign messages, and fundraising e-appeals
2. Assist in creating and managing documentation and database related to external relationships
3. Participate in content creation including write-ups, stories, press releases, social media posts, etc.
4. Support to coordinate learning and networking sessions, including but not limited to webinars, panel discussions, and talk series
5. Assist with fundraising and partnership development activities
6. Help to create and maintain electronic mailing lists targeting specific outreach groups
7. Prepare briefings, talking points, and other presentation materials for outreach
YOU must be a fun, people-loving, growth-oriented, impact-minded, young dynamic team-player with the following qualifications:
- Academically compelling, with at least Bachelors in Mass Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Organizational Psychology, Social Sciences or relevant field
- Relevant experience will be a plus
- Passionately driven by a strong inner calling for economic empowerment of Nepal
- Understanding of social issues related to economic prosperity, gender equality, youth employment and community-driven development
- Outstanding ability to work effectively under pressure and during uncertainties
- Independence in tackling complex problems consistently applying creativity, independent judgment and detail orientation
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal oversight with time management skills
- Excellent writer and orator in Nepali and English
- Ability to use the graphic designing software Canva
- Working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and/or other design software will be a plus
Compensation: Governance Lab will provide a monthly stipend to the Comms Intern. The rate will be mutually agreed upon, commensurate with the level of deliverables, qualifications and experience of the candidate.
Procedure: Interested candidates must submit a CV and a cover letter.
Apply Before: July 31st, 2022
**Only shortlisted candidates will be notified**