Website South Pole
Position: Climate Action Project Sourcing Manager
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all six continents, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
The Climate Action Project Sourcing Manager will be responsible for structuring, negotiating and building new partnerships to develop emission reduction projects within South Asia. The Climate Action Sourcing Manager will originate and develop business with implementation partners locally and globally with a focus on agriculture, forestry and household projects in South Asia. The position will also support existing project sourcing efforts in Renewable Energy (RE) and initiating efforts in new markets such as plastics in the South Asia region as well. This role requires commercial acumen, business development, strong networking and stakeholder management skills. A technical understanding of nature-based mitigation solutions, technical removals would be a strong advantage and ideally a broad understanding of related regulations/policies in numerous countries in South Asia. The Climate Action Sourcing Manager will work closely with the project implementation team with the technical issues related to emission reduction projects and the Structure, Finance and Implementation team to assess and potentially provide finance for project opportunities. The position will be a key member of the Asia Sourcing team and reporting to the Associate Director of Sourcing in the region. For South Pole, the South Asia region would include Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Structuring and sourcing new Climate Action projects that are eligible for carbon finance, especially community-based projects, forest conservation and restoration projects, plastics projects as well as agriculture and renewable energy projects
- Negotiate and sign Emission Reduction Purchase Agreements and other relevant commercial contracts
- Drive business development, including targeted business meetings, leading pitching sessions, financial analysis and liaising with clients
- Developing relevant documentation and financial analysis and commercial terms with Project Owners and the project implementation team as needed to facilitate external investment into emission reduction project opportunities
- Proactive networking with relevant organisations including attending relevant gatherings and conferences and expanding the existing network
- Ensure an efficient and effective implementation of South Pole’s Regional sourcing strategy
- Conduct research relevant to new project leads, project developers, project owners, relevant regulatory regimes/policies in the South Asia region
- Support coordination and collaboration with other teams within the South Pole globally in regards to project leads and opportunities
- Ensure that sourcing flows and processes (including documentation and interaction with other teams) are in line with the company guidelines
- A University degree in Environment, Forestry, Economics or Business Administration, ideally with evidence of a focus on environmental or sustainability issues
- 5-7 years of relevant commercial experience, preferably in a business development or an origination role in carbon markets and other environmental assets
- Strong experience and network in more than one country in the South Asia region
- Strong track record in generating new business opportunities and closing deals in a portfolio worth millions of dollars
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong relationships with clients and team members
- Knowledge of legal and contract management aspects
- Entrepreneurial and proactive mindset, willingness to take initiative
- Excellent written and oral command of English
- National, or holder of a valid required work visa in host country
- Masters degree would be an advantage
- Knowledge of and experience with emission reduction project-based carbon standards, technologies and project development processes
- Knowledge and experience of working with Agriculture, Forestry and other Land Use (AFOLU) or household devices such as cookstoves, water filters, home solar or household biogas opportunities
- Good working knowledge of any relevant South Asian language
- Some knowledge or networks with Renewable Energy would also be advantageous
- Broad understanding of global sustainability issues
- Experience working with a multicultural and ethnically diverse global company
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
To apply for this job please visit careers.southpole.com.