Website Abt Associates
Chief of Party, USAID Nepal Agriculture Transformation
The World at Abt
Solving the world’s most pressing issues and improving the quality of life for people worldwide is what we do every day at Abt Associates. Creating a more equitable world is no small task, but we are driven by big challenges.
We are a team of 3,000+ people in over 50 countries working in unison and focused on the bigger picture. Only by sharing our commitment, energy, and innovation do we affect change and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We welcome diverse ideas, backgrounds, and viewpoints – joining Abt means access to exceptional thinkers at the top of their game.
To thrive at Abt is to embrace flexibility and collaboration. Our open culture allows you to balance your work and personal life as needed to optimize personal well-being. Creating a more equitable world starts from within – we look after people around the world, and we’ll do the same for you.
Ready to embrace rewarding and meaningful work? Now’s your chance.
Abt Associates seeks a Chief of Party (COP) to lead the anticipated 5-year USAID-funded Agriculture Transformation activity. The purpose of the activity is to catalyze a transformation in Nepal’s agricultural sector that will lay the foundation for broad based and inclusive economic growth. The program objectives include: 1) Agricultural productivity, competitiveness, and diversification increased; 2) Enabling environment for private sector investment in agriculture and equitable access to market systems improved; 3) Climate and economic resilience of women, youth, and marginalized communities enhanced; and 4) Capacity of national agricultural research institutions and extension systems strengthened. The activity will focus on fine rice, industrial maize, lentils, high-value vegetables, and goat value chains and will focus implementation in four provinces: Bagmati Province, Lumbini Province, Karnali Province, and Sudurpaschim Province.
This position is contingent upon award of the Nepal Agriculture Transformation Activity to Abt Associates.
- Provide strategic managerial and technical leadership for the program to ensure quality and timely delivery of all activities and deliverables.
- Oversee a multi-disciplinary team of experts.
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID, other key US Government stakeholders and initiatives, private sector institutions, and the donor community.
- Ensure that all project staff, personnel, and subcontractors understand their roles and responsibilities and comply with USAID and Abt policies and procedures.
- Supervise the project’s technical team to ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation.
- Monitor the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high-quality work and internal control.
- Provide strategic technical direction and guidance to staff in relevant areas, including agricultural productivity; enabling environment for private sector investment in agriculture; equitable access to market systems for women and youth; climate and economic resilience; and agricultural research and extension systems.
- Ensure the submission of timely and accurate program, financial, and procurement reports.
- Oversee establishment of a framework for monitoring, evaluation, learning and adapting in response to results achieved.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with USAID and local counterparts to ensure effective coordination of project activities with relevant ministries and agencies, civil society, private sector actors, other project stakeholders, and complementary USAID and U.S. government-funded initiatives.
- Serve as the main point of contact with Abt Associates’ U.S. office.
What We Value
- Master’s degree in business, agriculture, agribusiness, economic growth, international development, or related field.
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate project team.
- Minimum of 10 years progressively responsible experience in project management and implementation, with at least 5 years in a senior supervisory capacity overseeing projects or initiatives similar in size and scope.
- USAID project management experience at COP or senior management level (highly preferred).
- Demonstrated technical expertise in a combination of the following: agricultural development and market systems development; enabling environment for private sector investment in agriculture; equitable access to market systems for women and youth; climate and economic resilience; and agricultural research and extension systems.
- Demonstrated experience in adaptive management and program design.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with U.S., foreign government counterparts.
- Knowledge of Nepal’s agricultural markets and the obstacles inhibiting competitiveness, resilience, and inclusion (highly preferred) or successful track record in a similar environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required, knowledge of Nepali desired.
- Nepali nationals are encouraged to apply.
What We Offer
We foster an environment where you can Thrive Your Way. Our innovative total rewards programs are designed to help balance your work and personal life. The approach toward your wellbeing centers around comprehensive benefits and professional development.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Abt is committed to creating a safe and inclusive work environment. All offers of employment will be subject to appropriate background checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Abt Associates also participates in the Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
To apply for this job please visit egpy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com.