Website CEAPRED (Centre for Environmental and Agricultural Policy Research, Extension and Development)
Position Title : Advocacy Officer
Project Name: Skill Up!
Base station: Project Office Surkhet with substantial field visits
Established in April 1991, the Center for Environmental and Agricultural Policy Research, Extension, and Development (CEAPRED) is a national non-governmental organization (NGO) in Nepal. it is one of the first NGOs in the country to work in the agricultural sector focusing on food and nutrition security, environment management and socioeconomic empowerment of women and deprived communities. Since inception, its programmatic focus has been on sustainable poverty reduction, livelihoods enhancement, improvements in food and nutrition security, climate resilience building, and empowerment of women and poor.
In the past three decades of operations, CEAPRED has worked in 66 districts of Nepal, and served over 600,000
farm families, which include 70% women, 31% ethnic minorities and 19% Dalits. It has completed implementation
of 105 projects funded by different donors and development partners. These projects were implemented either
independently by CEAPRED or in partnership with different national and international development agencies. A
large number of our projects were devoted to income generation activities through commercial high-value agriculture and agro-enterprise promotion and creation and expansion of new market infrastructures and channels to strengthen community value chains. In this process, a large number of social, physical and economic infrastructures have been developed. The cumulative benefits of all this have been translated into visibly improved livelihoods and well-being of the poor, marginalized communities and women.
CEAPRED has been implementing Skill Up project in Nepal in partnership with Welthungerhilfe(WHH). The project
is funded by BMZ Germany and being implemented for a period of 42 months starting from Nov 2019 in two districts of Karnali (Surkhet and Salyan) and one district of Sudurpaschim (Kanchanpur) provinces.
Under the overall supervision of Project Coordinator, the position focuses on advocacy related activities and
supports in implementation and tracks the project results, coordinates with project partners and project
stakeholders, i.e. groups and cooperatives, Municipalities, Green colleges, provincial authorities etc. The position ensures efficient and timely implementation of the project according to detailed implementation plan, program framework and project’s log frame, and contributing to further development and expansion of programming. The position is expected to speed up the implementation activities/ process without compromising the quality.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Leads implementation of advocacy related activities ensuring stakeholder engagement, coordination, creating synergies and leverage in the field, Partner capacity building and synergy
- Support in project reporting, MEAL system including quarterly and annual reports.
- Support in speeding up project implementation, budget tracking and partner on coordination and day to
day project handling
- Ensure that project DIP is on-track and follow-up project activities/output against the timeline.
- Support in analyzing technical data including appropriate governance, market and food and nutrition
security indicators to direct program implementation priorities.
- Support in application of MEAL framework in project, including periodic progress review and recommend
adjustment to PM as necessary.
- Support in results-based program monitoring with regular field visits as assigned by the project
- Support in development of good quality narrative and financial reports
- Ensure integration of good governance, RBA and GESI throughout the project cycle.
- Coordinate, network and develop cooperation with Rural Municipalities/ Municipalities/ district level
authorities, I/ NGOs, government institutes, private sectors, thematic networks and other relevant stakeholders at district level.
- Attend and represent project in relevant meetings at local and district/ regional levels as per need.
- Ensure project implementation is in line with governmental regulations/ procedures and do not duplicate
activities proposed or carried out by GoN or other organizations.
- Collect and document best practices, case studies, stories and photos.
- Work together with other project partners in the district /province to ensure maximum synergy.
- Ensure adherence to Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) in project implementation.
- Ensure transparency, complain response mechanism and inclusiveness in information management.
- Strictly ensure that CEAPRED’s / WHH’s code of conducts are followed.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Project Coordinator.
Required qualification and experience
- Master degree in Agriculture Economics, Social Sciences, Rural Development or related fields.
- At least 5 years of experience in the above fields with I/NGOs in implementing livelihood based projects.
- Substantial experience of working, coordinating and partnering with Municipalities, local organisations
and provincial authorities.
- Knowledge on, and sound technical understanding of vocational training, food and nutrition security,
nutrition awareness and promotion is required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Nepali languages.
- Good quality report writing, case study formulation, and inter-personal communication skills.
- Excellent coordination and facilitation skills
- Ability to integrate gender issues and right based approaches within a conservative environment and
indigenous community setting
- Creative, flexible and pro-active, willingness to learn and to share knowledge.
- Willingness to work in the field, with overnight stays in villages with marginal facilities.
- Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel and Power point) and web-based communications systems/
- Valid Driving License, able to ride a motorcycle in rural roads.
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to
work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Good understanding on gender and social inclusion related issues.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently