Company: Dhokpya Learning Grounds
ABOUT Dhokpya Learning Grounds (DLG)
Dhokpya Learning Grounds is the partner of KTK-BELT in Taplejung district. DLG focuses on realizing the vision of the Vertical University by creating Learning Grounds in high altitude regions that can benefit conservation, education and livelihood, fortifying biodiversity and ecosystems of this important ecosystem.
KTK-BELT (www.belt-project.org) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established in 2014 to catalyze new models of biodiversity conservation and environmental learning in eastern Nepal. Its mission is to work with teachers, farmers, youth, and women to create a ‘Vertical University’ that will span from Koshi Tappu Wildlife Sanctuary (67 m.) to Kanchenjunga (8,586 m.), the third tallest peak in the world. The idea is to give a framework to local farmers to become ‘professors’ of the Vertical University, to share their indigenous knowledge while conserving threatened species and landscapes.
KTK-BELT works with non-profit cooperatives called ‘Learning Grounds,’ including Dhokpya Learning Grounds, our partner in the Kanchejunga region working on the protection of snow leopard, blue sheep and other endangered species. Each Learning Grounds, governed by a diverse local Board, owns its own biodiversity-rich conservation land base, which it holds in perpetuity in order to prevent ecosystem fragmentation and deforestation. Local BELT Youth Fellows, trained by KTK-BELT staff, run and administer the Learning Grounds.
Position: Admin & Finance Officer
The admin & Finance officer will be accountable to directors of DLG on issues related to financial and administration management. S/he will be managing the finance and administration unit and ensure compliance with organisational financial policy, oversee overall financial and administrative management. The responsibility to be taken has been comprehensively includes as follows but these are not limited s/he should work on need basis as well.
• Ensure of proper accounting procedures and systems to make certain that proper monitoring mechanisms are in place; identifying weaknesses and addressing them immediately
• Tracking and overseeing budgets and expenditures, controlling expenses
• Monitoring and advising the director and project officers on the financial status of projects and programs
• Routinely monitoring financial reports, transactions, and investigating anomalies or unusual transactions and informing DLG directors and KTK-BELT
• Ensuring the compliance with local laws of the Government of Nepal
• Check and monitor reports on program and financial matters to be submitted to various agencies
• Work closely with finance department of donor organisation for all related finance and accounting works
• Ensure that the financial transactions are entered into the computerised accounting system
• Ensure that earmarked funds are used for explicitly stated purposes
• Ensure documentation relating to payments is duly approved
• Verify all bills and invoices including supporting documents against the approved activities and submit for approval
• Ensure the submission of required legal and other documents to concerned authorities including SWC, tax offices, local government, etc
• Ensure all inventories & assets of organisation are recorded and used properly in line with project activities.
• Co-ordinate the daily operations and management of DLG office. Perform day to-day administrative tasks as directed by the executive team
• Prepare meeting materials; formalise agendas, and record and share minutes to promote exchange of actionable information and timely decision-making
• Maintain a monthly and weekly calendar outlining meetings and appointments, and make necessary travel arrangements, manage the business calendar for team members
Key Qualification & Experience
• Masters of Business Studies or related field a must
• 5+ years of prior experience in finance, accounting, and administrative work mandatory
• Prior experience of working in NGO environment would be added as a big advantage
Special Skills and Competence
• Complete fluency in written and spoken English and Nepalese and typing skills in both languages
• Computer literacy including familiarity with MS-Excel and MS-Word.
• Strong written and oral presentation skills in English and Nepali are required
• Highest degree of personal integrity
• Highly professional with strong interpersonal skills
• Highest degree of gender and caste sensitivity is a must
• The initial contract shall be for three months on a probationary/trial basis, extendable upon satisfactory performance for further period. This position is to be filled ASAP
• S/he will be provided with use of office space, desktop computer with Internet facilities, and office furniture. Necessary stationery, printing and copying facilities will also be provided
• Taplejung with travel throughout the district periodically and as per project need
Last date to apply: 31st July 2019
HOW TO APPLY
Interested individuals should submit their CV, cover letter, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state your salary expectations with your application before 31st of July, 2019.