Organization: National Federation of the Disabled, Nepal
National Federation of the Disabled, Nepal(NFDN) is a cross disability umbrella organization (national body) of persons with disabilities. It is representing more than 330 member organizations (Disabled Peoples’ Organizations, Parents Associations of Persons with Intellectual Disabilities and other organizations working on disability issues) throughout the nation. As the pioneer civil society organization, NFDN has been working on disability rights promotion for last 25 years. The key working strategies of NFDN are Advocacy/Lobby, Awareness raising, Capacity Building and Networking and Collaboration.
Currently, NFDN, in partnership with CBM Nepal, has been implementing a project on accessibility to the end of inclusion of persons with disabilities. This project is mainly implemented inside the Kathmandu valley and some nearby earthquake effected districts. NFDN will closely work with the Kathmandu Metropolitan City, Reconstruction Authorities, Ministry of Women Children and Social Welfare, Department of Road and other relevant authorities to promote accessibility standards in the public physical infrastructures in the course of addressing post disaster reconstruction activities.
NFDN now is accepting the applications from a competent persons for the following position:
Position: Accessibility Specialist/ Construction Supervisor (Accessibility for Inclusion project)
Number(s) of Position: 1
Working Station: Kathmandu with field visit to earthquake affected districts(sometime).
Contract period: 7 Months.
Academic qualification and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or architecture with at least two years’ experience in the relevant field. Experience in accessibility for people with disability and universal design principles.
Duties & responsibilities:
1. To prepare the detail design, structural analysis, bill of quantity of the construction sites in line with the recommendation report of the accessibility audit where the construction works are to be done by the current project,
2. To supervise and provide technical assistance before and during repair, modification and construction of public structures through accessibility audit process, providing both technical and management solutions and recommendations to the contracted companies and other concerned authorities overseeing the projects,
3. Ensure the construction projects are completed on schedule, according to contractual conditions, within budget, and with adherence to high standards of quality construction,
4. Coordinate with all contractors and other concerned stakeholders for the purpose of consultation and monitoring/follow up process,
5. Ensure the construction/modification/repairmen works are accessible for all including persons with all kinds of disabilities in line with the accessibility standards and universal design principles,
6. Develop checklists and tools to ensure regular follow up, revisions as per need to allow accessibility to be addressing throughout the design and implementation,
7. Help with identifying and documenting appropriate and innovative accessible construction solutions for (re) construction in order to collect lessons learned and good practice,
8. Provide technical support to the preparation of IEC materials, illustrative technical guide on accessibility, technical articles, accessibility audit and other relevant activities within the project.
Expected Skills, Knowledge and attitudes
• Design, construction and cost estimate skills, especially with appropriate materials and building systems (mud, stone, wood, etc),
• Extensive knowledge of ecological, appropriate and vernacular technologies,
• Knowledge on accessibility standards and universal design principles,
• Social technical skills are preferred.
• Good comfort on visiting to construction sites,
• Autocad, Sketchup or equivalents and good hand sketching
• Excellent knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel,
• Good skill in accessible and earthquake resistant structure construction
• Knowledge of humanitarian system and work,
• Good networking and communication skills are preferred,
• Good multi-tasking with time-management skills. Ability to work under pressure,
• Strong team-working skills, ability to work independently, as well as in a group setting
• Excellent verbal and written skills in English and Nepali
Position: National Project Officer
Duty Station: NFDN’s Project office, Kathmandu (with frequent field visit to project sites)
Required Academic Qualification:
- At least bachelor Degree completed (Master degree is preferable) in Management or financial accounting or business studies.
• At least 3 years working experiences in NGO sector in management level (experiences of disability sectors is preferred)
Expected Skills, Knowledge and attitudes
• Strong communication, coordination and team building skills with good skill in making case studies, news and articles.
• Strong knowledge of program designing, planning, monitoring and reporting.
• Strong verbal and written English and Nepali language skills.
• Excellent computer skills in operating Windows and MS office pack with sound skill and knowledge on handling email, internet, social media, searching and referencing data and information from internet etc.
• Knowledge of disability issues, disability related laws and policy, rights based approach of disability, human rights and human rights instruments including and UNCRPD.
• Good Skill and knowledge to develop tools and formats, techniques for monitoring, reporting, storing data of project and analyzing it.
Key duties and responsibilities
• Overall day to day management of the project activities in partnership with Myrights under the supervision and guidance of administrative manager.
• Prepare Project implementation plan and ensure the effective Implement the project activities
• Conduct necessary training, workshop, orientations session as per the requirement of the project.
• Develop capacities of the provincial units of the project, monitor their work and mobilize them for different activities of the project targeted to the province level.
• Collect data and information related to the implementation, progress, output, outcomes, challenges, problems of the project, document it and produce different reports as per the need.
• Make articles, case studies, report of the progress of the activities to publish in the website of NFDN
• Produce periodic project reports in the given format and submit to the Partners, NFDN’s relevant agencies and government agencies.
• Represent as the key representative of the project in the different project related meeting with various stakeholders.
• Coordinate with partners, different units of NFDN, government agencies, Disabled Peoples Organizations to ensure their involvement and participation in the project.
• Monitor the project activities, guide the project staffs as per the observation and ensure that the project is implemented in line with the set objectives and expected outcomes.
• Establish smooth coordination and linkage among NFDN and partner organizations.
• Support NFDN working committee and Admin Manager as per requirement.
Last date to apply: May 30, 2018
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are requested to apply in this position by submitting an job application letter and recently updated CV at our email address: email@example.com . Please also mention the title of the position you are applying in the subject line of your email message.
Note: Any telephonic inquiry will not be entertained and only shortlisted candidate will be called for interview.
“Since NFDN is working for promoting the rights of persons with disabilities, the qualified women/persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.”
This job announcement was published in Annapurna Post on 15 May 2018