Organization: SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
Junior Programme Officers (JPO)
• Khadak-Saptari, Birendranagar-Surkhet, Nepalgunj-Banke or Chandannath-Jumla, np
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation in NEPAL is seeking Junior Programme Officers (JPO) for short-term assignment for Urban Sanitation and Hygiene for Health and Development (USHHD)
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation with long-term, local presence in over 30 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our team of advisors works with local partners to equip communities and businesses with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. SNV works across three sectors: Agriculture, Renewable Energy and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. Several international donors fund our programmes. SNV has a +100 million euro annual turnover and is aiming for further growth.
Since SNV opened its first Asia office in Nepal in 1980, we have been able to reach out to more than 4 million people in some of the poorest pockets in far-western Nepal. Our team operates in 34 districts through a country office in Kathmandu and various project offices across the districts. From 2011, SNV has designed impact-oriented programmes in the following sectors: Agricultural and Forest Products, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. These programmes are aligned with the development priorities of the government of Nepal, and focus on increasing livelihood opportunities, food security, access to energy, and access to water, sanitation and improved hygiene.
The USHHD project is part of a five country programme and aims to achieve city-wide sanitation and hygiene by strengthening professional and organisational capacity of local governments, private sector, civil society and communities. DGIS funded USHHD project is implemented in four cities (Khadak- Saptari, Birendranagar- Surkhet, Nepalgunj- Banke, Chandannath- Jumla). It addresses the four components in ensuring city-wide, inclusive and sustainable services:
• WASH governance, regulation, and enforcement
• Behaviour change communication and awareness
• Safe and affordable services
• Treatment, disposal and reuse
• Smart finance and investment
The primary partner of the project is the municipality and will engage with other stakeholders such as school, health facilities, private sector, local NGOs etc.
Overview of the Position
The JPO position targets fresh graduates of Master’s Degree and aims to provide professional exposure and the opportunity for application of knowledge relevant to their field of study. The position aims at implementing short-term assignments identified by local government and facilitated by the Project’s Senior WASH Advisor that will support achieving the objectives of USHHD for city-wide sanitation. The JPO Position will be based in Khadak-Saptari, Birendranagar-Surkhet, Nepalgunj-Banke or Chandannath-Jumla.
The JPO, under the guidance of the WASH Advisor, will be responsible for preparing detailed plan of implementation for the assignment and implementing the required tasks. With the support of the WASH Advisor, he/she will be required to engage with project stakeholders which may include staff of municipality, schools, health facilities, private sector, and local NGOs. He/She will report to the WASH Advisor based in the district.
• Conduct review and study of assignment to develop understanding of processes for implementation and required technical knowledge.
• Develop detailed plan of implementation.
• Be responsible for implementing activities following the plan
• Engage with required stakeholders
• Report regularly to District WASH Advisor
• Submit assignment completion report.
• Master Degree, in Engineering (Civil), WASH, Public Health, Social Sciences, and/or Business Management
• Good communication and representation skills and fluency in written and oral Nepali.
• Good English comprehension;
• Working knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
• Willing to be based in project district for three months
• Willing to travel and work independently in field
• The position does not required any work experience.
Contract Type: Short-term
Contract Durataion : 3 months (15 May 2018 – 16 August 2018)
Required number of Position: 8
Duty Station : Khadak-Saptari, Birendranagar-Surkhet, Nepalgunj-Banke or Chandannath-Jumla
Last date to apply: 21 April 2018.